[CogSci] babySTEP Tutorials 2022 - WebGazer

Juhani Järvikivi jarvikiv at ualberta.ca
Tue Dec 14 08:53:41 PST 2021

 As a continuation of our 2021 babySTEP tutorials, we are pleased to offer
an Introduction to WebGazer with Dr. Ian Krajbich and Xiaozhi Yang (Ohio
State). Their recent article "Webcam-based online eye-tracking for
behavioral research"
<https://ideas.repec.org/a/jdm/journl/v16y2021i6p1485-1505.html> outlines a
case for using web-based eyetracking in behavioral research.  This tutorial
will go into detail on how exactly to incorporate webcam-based eye tracking
into JavaScript experiments.

Experiments are increasingly moving online. This poses a major challenge
> for researchers who rely on in-lab techniques such as eye-tracking.
> Researchers in computer science have developed web-based eye-tracking
> applications (WebGazer; Papoutsaki et al., 2016) but they have yet to see
> use in behavioral research. This is likely due to the extensive calibration
> and validation procedure, inconsistent temporal resolution (Semmelmann &
> Weigelt, 2018), and the challenge of integrating it into experimental
> software. Here, we incorporate WebGazer into a widely used JavaScript
> library among behavioral researchers (jsPsych) and adjust the procedure and
> code to reduce calibration/validation and improve the temporal resolution
> (from 100-1000 ms to 20-30 ms). We test this procedure with a
> decision-making study on Amazon MTurk, replicating previous in-lab findings
> on the relationship between gaze and choice, with little degradation in
> spatial or temporal resolution. This provides evidence that online
> web-based eye-tracking is feasible in behavioral research.

*When:* Wednesday January 19, 2022, 10am EST
*Where:* Zoom
*Register:* https://forms.gle/Z5gaFnXZy1fvPpmM7

--
Dr. Juhani Jarvikivi (he/him)

Professor, Associate Chair - Undergraduate Studies
*Department of Linguistics*
4-55 Assiniboia Hall
University of Alberta
Edmonton T6G 2E7