[CogSci] [Webinar on Jun 5] CogIST Cognitive Webinar Series: Junko Kanero - Why robots? A brief introduction to the use of robots in psychological research

Cog IST organizasyon.cogist at gmail.com
Mon May 29 03:47:33 PDT 2023

Dr. Junko Kanero (Sabanci University) will be with us at the 15th and this
semester's last event of the Cognitive Webinar series.

Date: June 5th, Monday
Time: 18:00 (GMT +3), 17:00 (CET), 11:00 AM (EDT)

In order to join the event, please fill up the application form here:
https://forms.gle/Gznmnh73UP1UdVcJ7

Below you can find the title of the talk, a short description of its
content, and a reading material to get you prepared for the event:

*Why robots? A brief introduction to the use of robots in psychological
research*
Why should psychologists be interested in robots? This talk aims to
illustrate how social robots – machines with human-like features and
behaviors –  can offer interesting insights into the human mind. I will
first provide a brief overview of how robots have been used in psychology
and cognitive science research focusing on two approaches - Developmental
Robotics and Human-Robot Interaction (HRI). We will then delve into recent
works in HRI, including my own, in greater detail. We will also address the
limitations of research thus far, such as the lack of proper controlled
experiments, and discuss how the scientific community should evaluate the
use of technology in educational and other social settings.

Bagci, S. C., Akay, S., Dogan, A., & Kanero, J. (2023). Beyond Interaction:
‘Human-Robot (Fast) Friendship’ as a Tool to Reduce Prejudice towards
Robots and Human Outgroups. OSF Preprints. https://osf.io/tuqgp

---
CogIST is an independent community run by volunteering students to promote
cognitive science and make it more accessible in Istanbul and in Turkey.
Cognitive Webinar is held online, entirely in English and aims to reach an
international audience. CogIST seeks to provide a platform not just for
science communication but also for interaction and connection of academics
from all over the world with the help of this series, where researchers and
scientists give a talk on various topics in cognitive science.

If you have any questions regarding our community and events, please
contact us at info.cogist at gmail.com or @cog_ist on Twitter.