[CogSci] Job posting

Philip Laughlin laughlin at mit.edu
Mon Oct 10 05:59:06 PDT 2022

Hello,

I would like to post the attached job description on the Announcements page of the Cognitive Science Society website. I've copied and pasted the job description below too. Please let me know if I need to do anything else.

Best wishes,
Philip Laughlin

############################

Open Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences

Managing Editor

The MIT Press

The MIT Press is seeking a managing editor and project coordinator for the new Open Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences (OECS). OECS expands and updates the MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences (1999), published by the MIT Press, in a new open access online format. The Managing Editor position will serve as an intellectual and administrative partner in the development of this new, foundational resource for the field.

Duties of the position include:

● Coordinate the broad goals and vision of OECS with the editors in chief (Mike Frank, Stanford; Asifa Majid, Oxford) and 6 section editors;

● Provide editorial feedback on both broad content decision-making (e.g., representation of the breadth of disciplinary topics in the contents) and the specifics of article style;

● Work to ensure diverse representation with respect to race and ethnicity, gender, geography, and other characteristics in the contributors;

● Collaborate with the editorial team, publisher, and hosting platform to determine the appearance and navigation of the OECS website;

● Manage the timeline of article processing relative to the launch of OECS;

● Coordinate the peer-review and feedback process for individual articles with the individual section editors, and;

● Manage inquiries about specific entries in OECS, including proposals for new entries.

This is a 3-year fixed-term contract position with some possibility of extension, contingent on the acquisition of funding. The initial goal of the project is a successful launch of the encyclopedia platform with a first set of articles (~100); the subsequent goal is the expansion of the article set to achieve broad coverage of topics across the cognitive sciences.

We welcome applicants with a range of career trajectories and backgrounds. Desired qualifications:

● English-language writing and editorial experience

● A graduate degree in one of the substantive fields of Cognitive Science (including but not limited to Psychology, Philosophy, Computer Science, Linguistics, Education, and Anthropology)

● Project management and coordination skills, especially for projects with fixed timelines and deliverables

● Ability and experience navigating web publication platforms or a willingness to learn

● A broad interdisciplinary perspective, so as to be able to navigate intellectual content and disciplinary norms across contributions from different fields

● Skill in navigating interpersonal coordination including across individuals from different cultural backgrounds, professional backgrounds, and career stages

Our team is distributed across Cambridge, MA, USA; Palo Alto, CA, USA; and Oxford, UK, and we are open to hybrid or remote work arrangements. Salary commensurate with experience.

Contact:

Terry Ehling

Director of Strategic Initiatives

ehling at mit.edu

The MIT Press

mitpress.mit.edu

About the MIT Press

Established in 1962, the MIT Press is one of the largest and most distinguished university presses in the world and a leading publisher of books and journals at the intersection of science, technology, art, social science, and design. MIT Press books and journals are known for their intellectual daring, scholarly standards, interdisciplinary focus, and distinctive design.

###

Philip Laughlin
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Philosophy / Cognitive Science /