[CogSci] 2022 Racial Equity and Time-Series Methods Summer Convening

Stephanie Del Tufo sdeltufo at udel.edu
Tue May 17 07:11:02 PDT 2022

2022 Racial Equity and Time-Series Methods Summer Convening – Supported by
the Spencer Foundation

*Event application can be found here:
https://redcap.chs.udel.edu/surveys/?s=E4ECEWJN8JEAAE7W

**Applications due: June 30th by 11:59 PM ET*

*Event date: July 18th – 22nd
*Hosted by: University of Delaware College of Education and Human
Development

The University of Delaware College of Education and Human Development will
be hosting a Racial Equity and Time-Series Methods Convening, supported by
the Spencer Foundation. The conference will use the Brave Communities
pedagogy to build cohesion among scholars (at all educational levels),
education practitioners, and statistical methodologists to advance racial
equity in education through time-series approaches.

Whether we wish to forecast the effectiveness of diversity courses or
understand daily interactions between students and their teachers, time is
a critical factor. This novel method moves us beyond longitudinal analyses
to extract meaningful information that can make predictions about the
future. Although education studies applying time-series methods to
educational research design, implementation, and dissemination are often
pivotal to research practice and policy, they remain quite rare. What is
holding back the integration of time-series in racial equity research in
education? The likely culprits lie in the type or scale of the data being
collected and open communication between racial equity educational
researchers, practitioners, and statistical methodologists. To bridge this
gap, we will create bidirectional partnerships between education
practitioners and researchers that are poised to leverage time-series
methods to advance racial equity in education. With scaffolding from
education partnership and policy experts, this convening will not only
build methodological capacity around time-series in the field of education
but will provide the framework to address longstanding, previously
unanswerable, education questions on racial equity.

As long as it is safe to do so, we plan to host this event in a hybrid
format both in-person at the University of Delaware and online. We hope to
be able to accommodate all virtual attendees. As the in-person portion of
the event is limited by the physical space, we are requesting applications.
Proof of vaccination will be required to attend in-person. Please note that
depending on the COVID-19 situation, we may be required to shift to a
virtual event. For those attending in person, funding is available to
offset the cost of travel to the University of Delaware.

We encourage practitioner attendance and attendance from researchers in
education, public policy, psychology, sociology, neuroscience, statistics,
mathematics and related fields.

Conference topics include:

- State-of-the-field talks on racial equity in education

- How to build research-practice partnerships

- Time-series from smart technology

- How to implement GAMM modeling in R

Selected in-person attendees will be notified by July 2nd 2022. All
attendees will receive a detailed agenda via email and be connected to our
event web page.

For questions, please contact:

*Stephanie N. Del Tufo, Ph.D.*

*Assistant Professor*

College of Education & Human Development

Interdisciplinary Neuroscience Graduate (ING) Program

16 W. Main Street, Newark, DE 19716

University of Delaware

sdeltufo at udel.edu