[CogSci] Learning Scientist, Ph.D.-Level Intern at Duolingo

Dalia Shehata dalia at duolingo.com
Mon Jul 26 14:49:09 PDT 2021

Job Description

Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and
make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's
where you come in!

Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world,
with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed
daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy
with Duolingo ABC <https://www.duolingo.com/abc> and English proficiency
testing with the Duolingo English Test
<https://englishtest.duolingo.com/home>.

We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions,
and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful
work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class
minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!

We are looking for a Ph.D. candidate with research expertise in language
acquisition and experience with science communication to the general
public. At Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and
knowledge in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the
immediate impact of your work on millions of learners worldwide. This is a
12-week internship for summer 2022 (exact dates flexible).

More information on our University Programs can be found at
university.duolingo.com

What you’ll do...

   -

   Write engaging articles that are accessible to a wide audience about
   Duolingo’s progress in improving its teaching effectiveness
   -

   Assist the Public Relations team in data and research-related press
   inquiries
   -

   Explore data and learning trends to find stories of interest to a
   general audience
   -

   Describe language learning principles, tips, and research to
   journalists, partner organizations, and other non-experts

What we’re looking for…

   -

   Ph.D. candidacy. You are currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in cognitive
   science, cognitive psychology, linguistics, applied linguistics, second
   language acquisition, or a related field. You must have advanced to
   candidacy and your planned graduation date must be between fall 2022 and
   fall 2023.
   -

   Research expertise. You specialize in research in an area within
   learning sciences, including but not limited to language development,
   second language acquisition, statistical learning, non-native speech
   perception & learning, categorization & category learning, analogical
   learning, or memory.
   -

   Data analysis skills. You have good working knowledge of R, Python, or
   SQL and are comfortable analyzing quantitative data. You can describe
   patterns and differences succinctly to highlight why they are interesting
   and relevant.
   -

   Science communication experience. You have experience communicating
   science to the general public and a knack for explaining complex concepts
   in simple ways.
   -

   Language knowledge. You know at least one language other than English,
   preferably Spanish or French.
   -

   Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication
   skills.

Exceptional Candidates:

   -

   Passion for language learning and knowledge of multiple languages
   -

   Experience with foreign language teaching

Why you’ll love working here…

   -

   Language learning opportunities
   -

   Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
   -

   Company-wide Hackathon
   -

   PTO and company holidays
   -

   Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and
   so much more!

Link to apply: https://careers.duolingo.com/students

--

<https://www.duolingo.com/>

dalia shehata • university recruiter *(she/her/hers)*

university students - click here! <https://university.duolingo.com/>