[CogSci] Oct 13: David Barner "at" Concordia University for Ada Lovelace Day 2020

ConcordiaCognitiveScienceGroup cognitivescience at concordia.ca
Fri Oct 9 21:15:59 PDT 2020

https://sites.google.com/view/adaconcordia2020/home
<https://sites.google.com/view/adaconcordia2020/home>

Concordia University Celebrates

*Ada Lovelace Day **2020*

October 13th online at 6PM (18:00) EDT (GMT -4)

The
<https://www.facebook.com/concordiacognitivescience/events/admin/?acontext=%7B%22action_history%22%3A%22[%7B%5C%22surface%5C%22%3A%5C%22page%5C%22%2C%5C%22mechanism%5C%22%3A%5C%22page_admin_bar%5C%22%2C%5C%22extra_data%5C%22%3A%7B%5C%22page_id%5C%22%3A653795871342326%7D%7D]%22%2C%22has_source%22%3Atrue%7D>Centre
for Cognitive Science and the INDI Program
<https://www.concordia.ca/sgs/programs/individualized.html> at Concordia
University, <https://www.concordia.ca/> present our first celebration of
<https://findingada.com/>Ada Lovelace Day.

   - Lea Popovic <http://mypage.concordia.ca/mathstat/lpopovic/>
   (Concordia: Math and Stats): *A Brief Introduction to Ada Lovelace*
   - *Invited* *Speaker*: David Barner <http://www.ladlab.com/barner> (UC
   San Diego: Psychology, Linguistics, Math and Science Education): *Mechanical
   Paths to Mathematical Understanding: A celebration of Ada Lovelace*

   -

   Please register
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScUK1D71G9UJIYOFHYPiCx8adNTK_swGmoD6fOyhLEsJMPdjA/viewform?usp=sf_link>
   for live event on Zoom and YouTube (you will receive a link before the
   event)
   -

   Quarantine Bonus: Barner's EdX Parenting course
   <https://www.edx.org/course/the-science-of-parenting>

Abstract: In her commentary on the "Analytical Engine" created by her
friend and colleague Charles Babbage, Ada Lovelace, sometimes called the
world's first computer programmer, distinguished between the mechanical and
rational labors of mathematics. Also, Lovelace was the first to recognize
the power of computing devices to transcend mathematical calculations, to
support reasoning about any domain of human experience. Lovelace's
discourse poses the question of how clearly we can distinguish between
mechanical and rational processes. Also, it raises the question of how each
originates in the human mind, and what causal relations might exist between
purely mechanical computations and moments of rational insight that lead
humans to derive axioms, notice analogies between different
representational formats (e.g., geometry and algebra), or to create new
representational formats altogether. In this talk, I argue that the
mechanical labors of the mind - particularly in the case of mathematics -
allow humans to discover rational insights that otherwise would not be
available to them, and that our most profound mathematical discoveries
hinge upon learning from, and about, the mechanical rules of thought. To
make this case, I present evidence from children's acquisition of counting
procedures, and how this learning fuels their discovery that numbers,
space, and time are infinite. I also argue that the logic that underpins
these computations is fundamentally linguistic, and depends on the
computational engine provided by human natural language.

Contact: cognitivescienceAE?concordia.ca <cognitivescience at concordia.ca> Thanks
to everyone working during quarantine to keep us healthy, safe and fed.

https://sites.google.com/view/adaconcordia2020/home

Charles Reiss
Director, Centre for Cognitive Science
Professor, Linguistics Program
Concordia University
FB 1000.11
1250 GUY STREET
Montreal H3G 1M8
Canada
514 848-2424 x2491 (office: email is best)
charles.reiss at concordia.ca <acmebalkanica at gmail.com>