[CogSci] Learning Researcher position at Duolingo

Bozena Pajak bozena at duolingo.com
Tue Mar 19 12:14:19 PDT 2019

Duolingo (duolingo.com) is looking for a world class researcher in the
field of learning and cognition who can leverage their knowledge and
innovative ideas to revolutionize the Educational Technology industry. You
will be able to take advantage of the Duolingo platform and our vast amount
of data to do research that advances the scientific understanding of
learning. Become part of our collaborative team and increase the real-world
impact of your research by having your ideas and findings inspire what we
do next.

Responsibilities:

   -

   Sustain a compelling research program that’s both theoretically
   interesting and potentially applicable to Duolingo in the future
   -

   Use Duolingo data to gain insights into the learning process
   -

   Conduct behavioral experiments with our users or by recruiting
   participants elsewhere (e.g., on Mechanical Turk)
   -

   If applicable, use computational modeling techniques to understand how
   people learn
   -

   Present and publish your work in top conferences and journals

Requirements:

   -

   PhD in learning sciences, cognitive psychology, (psycho)linguistics,
   applied linguistics, or a related field
   -

   Postdoctoral researcher or faculty member at a research university
   -

   Research expertise and strong publication record in learning sciences
   (e.g., language learning, child language acquisition, learning and memory,
   category learning, etc.)
   -

   Excellent skills in experimental design and quantitative data analysis
   (including programming in languages such as R, Python, SQL, etc.)
   -

   Good analytical thinking skills and ability to apply research insights
   to product development
   -

   Outstanding interpersonal communication and organizational skills
   -

   A desire to make the world a better place through technology
   -

   Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA

Here are some of our benefits:

   -

   Competitive salaries and generous equity
   -

   Health, dental, and vision insurance
   -

   20 days of paid time off
   -

   401(k) with generous match
   -

   Flexible hours

Application link: https://bit.ly/2U25LBc

-

*Duolingo is an innovative, fun company with top engineers, designers,
marketers, linguists, and business people driven by a mission to provide
free education to the world.  We have over 150 people from 25 different
countries, and expect to have 200 within the next year. *

*2018: **Inc. Best Places to Work * <https://www.inc.com/profile/duolingo>
*2018: **Entrepreneur Top Company Culture List*
<https://www.entrepreneur.com/top-company-culture>
*2018, 2017, 2013: **Fast Company The World's Most Innovative Companies*
<https://fastcompany.com/company/duolingo>