[CogSci] Cognitive Economics Workshop (London) – August 19 deadline

Sam Johnson sgbjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:52:38 PDT 2019

CALL FOR PAPERS

Cognitive Economics Workshop

A two-day workshop taking place at King’s College London on the emerging
field of cognitive economics.

8-9 November 2019

Overview:

The 21st century is pushing us towards an ever more digital,
information-driven, persuasion-based global economy - just as a new set of
tools are emerging in neuroscience and psychology that offer the power to
understand these phenomena in a new way. Cognitive economics is an emerging
field that provides tools of analysis, and experimental methods, to explore
the new economy. When the scarcest resource is attention rather than money,
how does economic analysis change?

Cognitive economics is a relatively new field linked to behavioural
economics and focused on the value that people place on their mental states
and beliefs. This phenomenon is important for a variety of topics including
marketing, culture, identity economics, citizens’ participation in symbolic
narratives such as politics, and the information economy.

We will be using a variety of formats throughout the sessions to encourage
debate and interaction. As well as submitting papers, we are interested in
finding ideas for interactive sessions such as roundtable discussion(s),
panel debate(s) and idea generation session(s) etc.

We invite suggestions for 20-minute presentations or topics for interactive
sessions (panel discussion(s) etc) on the topics relating to theoretical,
empirical and applied cognitive economics. For instance, such as
belief-based utility, valuation of symbolic goods, happiness, motivated
reasoning, and the development of experimental methods, public policy and
marketing applications. This is a cross-disciplinary topic and we welcome
contributions relating to one or more of the following overlapping strands:

   -

   Economics (especially the economics of information, attention, and
   happiness, or behavioural economics)
   -

   Psychology (especially relating to mental simulation, non-standard
   preferences and narrative)
   -

   Neuroscience (especially relating to attention, valuation and mental
   simulation)
   -

   Marketing (especially of narratives and intangible goods)
   -

   Talks from other disciplines including sociology, politics, complex
   systems, or AI are very welcome – provided the topic is examined through a
   cognitive economics lens

Submission deadline: midnight in any time zone on Monday 19 August. Please
see attached pdf on how you can send in your applications or ideas for
panels and interactive sessions. Alternatively, please visit
www.cognitiveeconomics.org/events for further information.

--
Samuel G. B. Johnson, Ph.D.
Lecturer (Assistant Professor)