[CogSci] Petition opposing new NIH clinical trials regulations

Terry Regier terry.regier at berkeley.edu
Fri Sep 8 15:32:36 PDT 2017

> From: cvnet-bounces at lawton.ewind.com [mailto:
cvnet-bounces at lawton.ewind.com] On Behalf Of Jeremy Wolfe
> Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:55 PM
> To: CVNET <cvnet at mail.ewind.com>
> Subject: [cvnet] WE NEED HELP: A Petition Opposing the New NIH Clinical
Trials Regulations

As many of you will have heard by now, NIH has adopted a new policy that
denies the distinction between basic research and clinical trials, and,
starting in January 2018 requires virtually all basic research studies to
be registered as a clinical trial. This policy is outlined here:
https://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2017/08/11/4-questions-for-researchers-and-institutions-involved-in-human-subjects-research/?utm_source=nexus&utm_medium=email&utm_content=nihupdate&utm_campaign=jul17

The goal of fostering openness, transparency, & replicability is a good one
that we endorse but this is not the way to get there.
It will make exploratory research more difficult, mislead the public, and
burden researchers and their institutions with new bureaucratic
requirements that will accomplish nothing.
NIH officials have already heard objections from many directions, but so
far they seem to be considering at most small tweaks to their policy.
Therefore several of us have drafted an Open Letter to Francis Collins
outlining the reasons for our objection to the new policy.

Please consider signing the Open Letter, which you can find here:
https://ipetitions.com/petition/open-letter-nih-collins

You can also write a comment on the policy here:
https://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2017/08/11/4-questions-for-researchers-and-institutions-involved-in-human-subjects-research/?utm_source=nexus&utm_medium=email&utm_content=nihupdate&utm_campaign=jul17

Please forward this email widely to other scientists who you think might be
interested.

Jeremy Wolfe
jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com

Editor: Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI)
CRPI is the new open access, peer-reviewed journal of the Psychonomics
Society
Do you do "use-inspired, basic research" in Cognition? That is what we
publish.
http://www.cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/