[CogSci] Assistant Professor Position at Rochester Institute of Technology

Zhong Chen zxcgsl at rit.edu
Wed Oct 4 11:59:03 PDT 2023

Tenure-track Assistant Professor
Rochester Institute of Technology

DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Department of Psychology at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT; www.rit.edu/psychology<http://www.rit.edu/psychology>) invites candidates to apply for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position starting in August 2024.  We are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic psychologist who will serve as an instructor, researcher, and mentor to students in our undergraduate (Psychology, Neuroscience) and graduate programs (Masters in Experimental Psychology, Ph.D. in Cognitive Science). We are particularly looking to build a cohort of faculty who can contribute to the interdisciplinary Ph.D. program in Cognitive Science and contribute to research, mentoring, and teaching using computational and laboratory methods. Candidates should have expertise in an area of Cognitive Science such as cognitive or behavioral neuroscience, AI, computational/psycho-linguistics, cognitive psychology, comparative psychology, or related areas. We are particularly interested in individuals whose area of research expertise expands the current expertise of the faculty. Candidates who can teach courses in natural language processing or computational modeling courses are especially encouraged to apply.  The Department of Psychology at RIT serves a rapidly expanding student population at a technical university. The position requires a strong commitment to teaching and mentoring, active research and publication, and a strong potential to attract external funding. Teaching and research are priorities for faculty at RIT, and all faculty are expected to mentor students through advising, research and in-class experiences. The successful candidate will be able to teach courses in our undergraduate cognitive psychology track (Memory & Attention, Language & Thought, Decision Making, Judgement & Problem Solving), will be expected to teach research methods/statistics courses at the undergraduate and graduate level, and teach and mentor students in our graduate programs. In addition, candidates must be able to do research and work effectively within the department’s existing lab space. RIT provides many opportunities for collaborative research across the institute in many diverse disciplines such as AI, Digital Humanities, Human-Centered Computing, and Cybersecurity.
We are seeking individuals who have the ability and interest in contributing to a community committed tostudent-centeredness; professional development and scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism; innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view links to RIT’s core values<http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p040>, honor code<http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p030>, and statement of diversity.<http://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/p050>
THE COLLEGE/ DEPARTMENT:
The Department of Psychology at RIT offers B.S., M.S. degrees, Advanced Certificates, minors, immersions, electives, and a new interdisciplinary Ph.D. degree program in Cognitive Science. The B.S. degree provides a general foundation in psychology with specialized training in one of five tracks: biopsychology, clinical psychology, cognitive psychology, social psychology, and developmental psychology.  The M.S. degree is in Experimental Psychology, with an Advanced Certificate offered in Engineering Psychology. We offer accelerated BS/MS programs with AI, Sustainability, and Experimental Psychology. The Ph.D. degree is in Cognitive Science and the program is broadly interdisciplinary with several partner units across the university. We also offer joint B.S. degrees in Human Centered Computing and Neuroscience.
The College of Liberal Arts is one of nine colleges within Rochester Institute of Technology. The College has over 150 faculty in 13 departments in the arts, humanities and social sciences. The College currently offers fourteen undergraduate degree programs and five Master degrees, serving over 800 students.
THE UNIVERSITY:
Founded in 1829, Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Beyond our main campus in Rochester, New York, RIT has international campuses in China, Croatia, Dubai, and Kosovo. And with more than 19,000 students and more than 125,000 graduates from all 50 states and over 100 nations, RIT is driving progress in industries and communities around the world. Find out more at www.rit.edu<http://www.rit.edu/> .
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

  *   Have PhD., or PhD. expected by July 1, 2024 in cognitive psychology or cognitive science related specialty (e.g. linguistics);
  *   Have demonstrated ability to conduct independent research in psychology or closely related fields;
  *   Have consistently and recently published;
  *   Have demonstrated teaching ability and have taught college courses independently beyond TA;
  *   Have demonstrated ability to supervise student research;
  *   Demonstrate external research grant attainment potential;
  *   Demonstrate expertise in research and teaching in cognitive science;
  *   Show a career trajectory that emphasizes a balance between teaching and research;
  *   Show a fit with the Department of Psychology’s general mission, teaching, research, and resources.
  *   Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.

HOW TO APPLY:
Apply online at http://careers.rit.edu/faculty; search openings, then Keyword Search 8262BR. Please submit your application, curriculum vitae, cover letter addressing the listed qualifications and upload the following attachments:

•       A brief teaching philosophy

•       A research statement that includes information about previous grant work, the potential for future grants, and information about one-on-one supervision of student research

•       The names, addresses and phone numbers for three references

•       Contribution to Diversity Statement<https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/facultyrecruitment/forms/Diversity_Statement_Guide_for_candidates_4-12.docx>

You can contact the chair of the search committee, Caroline DeLong, Ph.D. with questions on the position at: cmdgsh at rit.edu<mailto:cmdgsh at rit.edu>.

Review of applications will begin October 1, 2023 and will continue until an acceptable candidate is found.

RIT does not discriminate. RIT is an equal opportunity employer that promotes and values diversity, pluralism, and inclusion.  For more information or inquiries, please visit RIT/TitleIX<https://www.rit.edu/academicaffairs/policiesmanual/c270> or the U.S. Department of Education at ED.Gov<https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/know.html#:~:text=OCR%20enforces%20several%20Federal%20civil,on%20the%20basis%20of%20age.>