[CogSci] Job posting for MIT

Brogan Heneghan bheneghan at buyerads.com
Tue Oct 3 12:05:43 PDT 2023

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences

Assistant Professor

*The Department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences (BCS)* *at the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology (MIT), *located on the main MIT campus in
Cambridge, MA, seeks to hire a tenure-track faculty at the assistant
professor level or higher. The department offers supportive mentorship to
new faculty, an exceptional environment for scientific inquiry, and a
strong commitment to an inclusive, welcoming culture. We strongly encourage
candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.

We are especially interested in researchers who span multiple levels of
analysis to advance our understanding of how the workings of the brain give
rise to the mind. We strongly encourage applications from creative
candidates whose research bridges aspects of brain and cognitive sciences.
This includes those who study the mechanisms of brain function, plasticity,
development, and/or disease across molecular, cellular, circuit and/or
systems levels in non-human animals and/or humans; who study cognition or
perception in adults or children; or who employ computational, theoretical
or AI approaches.

Successful applicants are expected to develop and lead independent,
internationally recognized research programs and to share in our commitment
to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education by teaching courses
and mentoring graduate and undergraduate students. Faculty also engage in
the intellectual life of the department through seminars, colloquia,
symposia, and similar events, and shape the work of the department through
committee service.

A PhD in neuroscience, biology, physics, electrical engineering, or
computer science, or a closely related field, is required; a year of
postdoctoral training in a similar field is required. The search is
expected to proceed on a timeline that would enable a start date of
September 1, 2024 or a mutually-agreed-to date thereafter.

BCS, the MIT School of Science, and MIT as a whole offers a generous range
of benefits and resources to promote the health and well-being of MIT faculty
members and their families in support of work-life balance, housing, and
childcare; visit https://science.mit.edu/resource/faculty-benefits/
<https://science.mit.edu/resource/faculty-benefits/> for more information.

 Application materials must be submitted online at
https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/25916 and include a cover letter,
current Curriculum Vitae, Statement of Research and Teaching Interests, and
up to five representative reprints. BCS values rigorous and replicable
science. Applicants are encouraged to describe how these values are
reflected in their work to date and their future research plans including,
but not limited to rigor in reporting, data sharing, and biological
variables. Candidates should also provide a statement regarding their
ability to contribute to a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and just
community, including past and current activities in these areas. Finally,
please arrange to have three letters of recommendation submitted online.
All application materials are due by midnight (EST) on *November 1, 2023.*

Employment is contingent upon the completion of a satisfactory background
check, including possible verification of any findings of misconduct (or
pending investigations) from prior employers.

MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. We value diversity and
strongly encourage applications from individuals from all identities and
backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive equitable consideration
for employment based on their experience and qualifications, and will not
be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, religion, disability, age, genetic
information, veteran status, or national or ethnic origin.  See MIT’s full
policy
<https://policies.mit.edu/policies-procedures/90-relations-and-responsibilities-within-mit-community/93-nondiscrimination>
on
nondiscrimination.