[CogSci] Lab Manager and Lab Technician, Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab (Saxelab) at MIT

Emily M Chen echen15 at mit.edu
Wed Mar 1 17:53:30 PST 2023

Dear all,

The Social Cognitive Neuroscience Lab (Saxelab<http://saxelab.mit.edu/>) at MIT is looking for two Senior Research Support Associates (Lab Manager and Lab Technician) to begin in June 2023, working under the primary mentorship<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hpFe1swkPIHWERKeCtIZxGfXCJfHf9p-cdpfGNqnQKY/edit> of Professor Rebecca Saxe. Links to apply are at https://bit.ly/saxelabmanager and https://bit.ly/saxelabtechnician. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply and would appreciate if you could share our job postings with anyone in your network who may be looking for post-bac jobs in cognitive science, developmental psychology, and/or cognitive neuroscience!

Job Description
We have two open positions. The first position (Lab Manager) is primarily responsible for lab operations, including onboarding new lab members, supervising undergraduate research assistants, managing institutional review board applications, recruiting participants, and collecting data. The second position (Lab Technician) is primarily responsible for maintaining and improving the lab's processes for data analysis, management and sharing, as well as making all of the lab's scientific activities more open and replicable, building on the lab's technical capabilities, acting as the lab's liaison for MIT's computing cluster, and maintaining the lab websites. Both positions provide opportunities to contribute to scientific projects, and/or to pursue a personal project under the PI’s supervision, and thus to earn authorship on publications.

These positions are typically held for two years, as a bridge to graduate school. The base salary is $48,000/year. Applicants with at least two years of full-time research experience, including a maximum of up to one year of undergraduate experience, are eligible for higher salaries.

These associates will be joining the department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences<https://bcs.mit.edu/>, and the McGovern Institute for Brain research<https://mcgovern.mit.edu/>. The core values of the Saxelab include (i) we commit to improving transparency, accessibility, and reliability of scientific research, (ii) we recognize and affirm the diversity of our community, and (iii) we commit to take action to increase inclusion, equity, belonging, and justice.

Qualifications
The ideal candidate for either position must be:

  *   Intrinsically self-motivated to support rigorous and open science
  *   Able to develop and maintain complex organizational systems, and work in a fast-paced and changing environment.

Applicants for the second position only must also have:

  *   Fluent use of python
  *   Experience in data analysis, data sharing, information systems and/or software development.
  *   Experience with Unix

Any of the following would be viewed as strengths in an application for either position:

  *   Experience with social media/website development.
  *   Previous experience in a research lab.
  *   Familiarity with R and/or Matlab.
  *   Familiarity with the concepts and processes of Open Science.
  *   Familiarity with neuroimaging data analysis pipelines.
  *   Interest in cognitive science, neuroscience, psychology and/or development.

Application Instructions
Applicants should submit a cover letter describing their research interests and skills and how they fit with this position, a CV, contacts for 2-3 letters of reference (letters will be requested for finalists, and do not need to be submitted until later). We will begin to evaluate applications on March 19, 2023.