[CogSci] Cognitive Psychology, Tenure-Track Assistant Professor

Evan Risko efrisko at uwaterloo.ca
Mon Sep 19 09:00:13 PDT 2022

The Department of Psychology (Faculty of Arts) of the University of Waterloo invites applications for one full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor rank in Cognitive Psychology.

The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology or closely related area.  Responsibilities will include a commitment to a strong, theory-driven research program; graduate and undergraduate teaching; supervision of graduate and undergraduate student research; and participation in the Department and University service. We are particularly interested in applicants with expertise in language, memory, learning, attention, or perception to complement existing strengths in judgment and decision making, although qualified applicants with expertise in any area of cognitive psychology are encouraged to apply. To increase gender representation within the cognitive area, we also particularly welcome applications from women. The salary range for this position at the Assistant Professor rank is $90,000 to $120,000 per year commensurate with experience.

This is a particularly exciting time to join the Department of Psychology. Two new Assistant Professors (in Cognitive and Social) have joined us in July 2022, and we are seeking to hire several additional junior faculty members in the near future. Thus, the successful candidate will join a vibrant, active cohort of early career scholars. Our collaborative, inclusive research community welcomes diverse perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas, so that all scholars can feel welcome, heard, and supported to do their best work.

Learn more about the Cognitive Psychology Area<https://uwaterloo.ca/psychology/research/research-areas/cognitive-psychology> (https://uwaterloo.ca/psychology/research/research-areas/cognitive-psychology) and the Department of Psychology<https://uwaterloo.ca/psychology/> (https://uwaterloo.ca/psychology/). Find information about living in Waterloo Region<http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/> (https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/index.aspx#). Please see three reasons to apply<http://uwaterloo.ca/fauw/why> to the University of Waterloo (http://uwaterloo.ca/fauw/why).

The anticipated start date for the position is July 1, 2023.  The closing date for receipt of applications is October 15th, 2022. Applicants should electronically submit their curriculum vitae, and statements of research interest (maximum 2 pages), teaching interest (maximum 1 page), and the candidate’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion (maximum 1 page). Candidates should also include reprints or preprints of four recent papers, and the names and contact information for three referees (including their email addresses) to: cognitiveposition at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:cognitiveposition at uwaterloo.ca>. Questions regarding the position or the Department can be addressed to Dr. Heather Henderson, Chair, Department of Psychology, hhenderson at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:hhenderson at uwaterloo.ca>.

The University of Waterloo acknowledges that much of our work takes place on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our main campus is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River. Our active work toward reconciliation takes place across our campuses through research, learning, teaching, and community building, and is centralized within our Indigenous Initiatives Office<https://uwaterloo.ca/human-rights-equity-inclusion/indigenousinitiatives>.

The University values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. The University regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. The University of Waterloo seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion.  As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as Indigenous (e.g., First Nations, Métis, Inuit/Inuk), Black, racialized, people with disabilities, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Dr. Heather Henderson, Chair, Department of Psychology, hhenderson at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:hhenderson at uwaterloo.ca>.  If you have any questions regarding the position, the application process, assessment process, or eligibility, please contact Dr. Heather Henderson, Chair, Department of Psychology, hhenderson at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:hhenderson at uwaterloo.ca>.