[CogSci] open postdoctoral position

Nora Newcombe newcombe at temple.edu
Sun Jan 23 04:48:32 PST 2022

A three-year postdoctoral position is available at Temple University to work with Dr. Nora Newcombe and Dr. Ingrid Olson. The postdoc will work on two NICHD-funded projects on the neural and behavioral development of episodic memory and navigation. We prefer a background in both behavioral and structural/fMRI with children, but we will consider individuals whose prior work is in cognitive neuroscience more broadly.  As a postdoc in this position, you will gain additional neuroimaging expertise, especially in RSA and diffusion imaging. Temple has a new state-of the-art imaging center on the ground floor of the Psychology building. Whoever is hired will be provided with the opportunity to develop as a basic scientist while simultaneously obtaining experience in translating basic science theories and into clinical research that is fundable by NIH.

Both U.S. and international applicants are welcome. Our labs places great emphasis on postdoctoral training, and we have an excellent track record of placing our postdocs in faculty positions and high-level data science positions.  Salary will depend on experience, with a minimum set by NIH. Additional funds are provided for conference attendance and travel, U.S. VISA expenses, and computers. The position is initially for 1 year but can be extended. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified. We are aiming for a start date between April and August 2022.

Philadelphia is a large city on East Coast of the United States. It is known for its walkability, history, and funky neighborhoods (https://philly.curbed.com/2016/6/28/12050656/coolest-neighborhoods-in-philadelphia<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fphilly.curbed.com%2F2016%2F6%2F28%2F12050656%2Fcoolest-neighborhoods-in-philadelphia&data=04%7C01%7Cnewcombe%40temple.edu%7C0a70ee42ea6943740b3408d9de2d7fb2%7C716e81efb52244738e3110bd02ccf6e5%7C0%7C0%7C637785109265175242%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=Jbw3dwzeva%2B4KziBy9pMn0RRvQvoWvaPukAXQL18%2FqY%3D&reserved=0>). It is 2 hours south of New York City, 2 hours north of Washington D.C.; both can be easily accessed by train. There is a confluence of neuroscience research in this region, with other institutions such as Drexel, Jefferson, University of Pennsylvania, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, and Rutgers, located nearby. Opportunities for collaboration are endless. Please email a CV, sample papers, and statement of interest to newcombe at temple.edu<mailto:newcombe at temple.edu> and iolson at temple.edu<mailto:iolson at temple.edu>.

Nora S. Newcombe
Laura H. Carnell Professor of Psychology
Temple University
318 Weiss Hall
Philadelphia PA 19122