[CogSci] Announcement of Common Model of Cognition Workshops

Christian Lebiere cl at cmu.edu
Fri Feb 25 09:24:50 PST 2022

In 2017, we proposed the idea of a Common Model of Cognition (CMC)
(initially referred to as Standard Model of the Mind
<https://ojs.aaai.org/index.php/aimagazine/article/view/2744>) and
organized two AAAI Fall Symposia on the topic
<https://ojs.library.carleton.ca/index.php/cmcb/index>, which many of you
attended. This year, we are planning to revitalize activity on the Common
Model by starting a biannual workshop series, initially fully virtual, on
specific topics related to the Common Model. Each meeting will focus on a
single topic over two days, including a few invited talks but with an
emphasis on discussions in working groups, with the goal of making
scientific progress during the meetings. The meetings will be open to all,
with the provision that each potential participant must provide a one-page
abstract on the topic. The abstracts will help us cluster participants in
working groups and demonstrate a minimal level of commitment to the
workshop.

Our initial topic will be Emotion (detailed description attached), possibly
in May or June of this year. At this time, we want to gauge interest in the
series in general, as well as the proposed first meeting. Please use the linked
google form <https://bit.ly/3vcEmPw> to:

1.     Indicate your general interest in the CMC series.

2.     Indicate your specific interest (including willingness to submit an
abstract) in a meeting on Emotion and the CMC, as well as possible dates.

3.     Provide other topics you would be interested in seeing included in
the series.

John Laird, Christian Lebiere, Paul Rosenbloom, and Andrea Stocco

Original CMC paper: Laird, J. E., Lebiere, C. & Rosenbloom, P. S. (2017). A
Standard Model for the Mind: Toward a Common Computational Framework across
Artificial Intelligence, Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, and Robotics, AI
Magazine 38(4).