[CogSci] Academia and the World Beyond: Navigating Life after a PhD

Christopher Madan Christopher.Madan at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 31 08:02:42 PDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Many PhD students and postdocs are unsure of what their options are, apart from academia. Even within academia, the responsibilities beyond research often haven't been sufficiently discussed.

A book I have been working on for a few years has just come out, where I've interviewed 22 individuals about their post-PhD careers, both in academic and non-academic positions. All of them discuss their career journey, day-to-day life in their current position, and advice for current PhD students. Most of those interviewed completed a PhD in either psychology or neuroscience, though lessons should be applicable to many other fields. The book is called "Academia and the World Beyond: Navigating Life after a PhD".

Part of the reason I went with Springer is that many university libraries are subscribed to catalogs of their books. Please see if you already have access to the PDF of the book. If not, consider suggesting your library order it.

You can find out more about the book on my website or directly from the publisher.
https://engra.me/books/academiabeyond
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-82606-2

Best,

~ Chris