[CogSci] Learning and Reasoning seminar - Tuesday 26 April, 4pm-5.30pm (UK) - Prof. Denis Mareschal - Fast and slow learning in humans: the case for multiple parallel learning systems

learning and reasoning learningandreasoning at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 01:20:11 PDT 2022

We warmly invite you to join us for our Learning and Reasoning Group
seminar taking place on Tuesday, 26th April, from 4:00 pm - 5:30 pm (UK
time). Prof. Denis Mareschal will be presenting on fast and slow learning
in humans: the case for multiple parallel learning systems. Please see
below for the abstract and the Zoom link.

Please direct colleagues and students who are interested in attending to
sign up to the mailing list *here*
<https://educationalneuroscience.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e8c3ce33c9c52e3c230a71af1&id=6b7e2fec3b&e=01d6505083>
.

See you on Tuesday!

*Title: Fast and slow learning in humans: The case for multiple parallel
learning systems*

Prof. Denis Mareschal, the Director of the Centre for Brain and Cognitive
Development, Birkbeck University of London

Tuesday 26 April, 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm GMT (10:00 am – 11:30 pm CDT)

Zoom link: https://brown.zoom.us/j/91960003945

Meeting ID: 919 6000 3945

*Abstract:* It is commonly claimed in the world of AI that humans are
unique in their ability to learn from a single for a small set of learning
examples. In the current talk, I will review the evidence that infants,
children and adults are able to learn and generalize from a single example.
We will also show that other species can also learn from single examples
under appropriate circumstances, and that in many domains, infants,
children, and adults need many many examples to learn effectively. I will
argue that this provides evidence for multiple learning systems working in
parallel at all times. One illustration of this interaction will be
presented in the context of interactions of cortical and hippocampal
learning systems. Finally, putative implications for education will be
discussed.

*Speaker bio:* Denis Mareschal is Professor of Psychology and Director of
the Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development at Birkbeck University of
London. He obtained a MA in Natural Sciences (Physics and Theoretical
Physics) from Cambridge, an MA in Psychology and AI from Mcgill, and a
DPhil in Psychology from Oxford University. His research focuses on
developing mechanistic models of learning in early development that are
constrained by biology and neuroscience. He has recently been involved in
promoting Educational Neuroscience as a critical bridge between
developmental cognitive neuroscience and educational practice. Recent books
include: *Neuroconstrucitvsm* (OUP) and Educational Neuroscience
(Wiley-Blackwell).

*Further seminar info: *
www.educationalneuroscience.org.uk/2021/11/17/learning-and-reasoning-group

Please email learningandreasoning at gmail.com for further inquiries.