[CogSci] 2nd call: The Second International Conference on Error-Driven Learning in Language (EDLL 2022)

Jessie Nixon jessie.nixon at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Apr 1 10:13:45 PDT 2022

2nd call for abstracts

Research Fields: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics;
Psycholinguistics; General Linguistics, Language acquisition

The Second International Conference on Error-Driven Learning in
Language (EDLL 2022).

Meeting URL: https://quantling.org/EDLL2022/

Dear all,

on the 50th Anniversary of the Rescorla-Wagner equations and after the
success of the first EDLL (2021) conference last year, we’re pleased
to announce that the Second International Conference on Error-Driven
Learning in Language (EDLL 2022) will take place this year.  Due to
continued uncertainty regarding travel restrictions, the conference
will be held online. The conference will take place from the 1st-3rd
of August, 2022.

The Second International Conference on Error-Driven Learning in
Language (EDLL 2022) aims to bring together researchers interested in
error-driven learning in speech and language. We would also be
interested in submissions from neighbouring fields, such as implicit
learning and statistical learning, especially if a connection can be
made to error-driven learning. Work in progress is also welcome.

Error-driven learning models, such as Rescorla and Wagner (1972) and
Widrow and Hoff (1960) have had a major influence on many areas of
psychology related to human and animal learning. However, research on
language learning took a separate path for a long time. Recently,
insights from error-driven learning have begun to be applied to a
broad range of language phenomena with promising results. For example,
error-driven learning models have addressed questions relating to
reading, spoken word comprehension, colour and number acquisition,
word learning, first and second language speech sound acquisition,
morphological processing, sentence processing, neural correlates of
prediction error and more.

Keynote speakers:
We are excited to announce our fantastic line up of Keynote speakers:
Prof Peter Dayan, Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics
Dr Elizabeth Wonnacott, University of Oxford
Prof Padraic Monaghan, University of Lancaster and University of Amsterdam
Dr Jacolien van Rij, University of Groningen

Call for abstracts:

We are inviting experimental, computational or theoretical abstracts
on any topic in error-driven learning of speech or language. Suitable
topics include but are not limited to:
The role of prediction error in
• first and second language acquisition
• learning or processing phonetic, morphological, syntactic or lexical
information
• sentence processing, syntax and grammar acquisition and processing
as well as
• neural processing of error feedback during speech and language
comprehension, production or learning
• the relationship between error-driven learning and information theory
• learning models such as implicit learning, Hebbian learning,
statistical learning, Bayesian learning or distributional learning,
especially if a connection can be made to error-driven learning.

Important dates:
Abstracts due:  18 April, 2022
Notification of acceptance sent: 10 June, 2022
Revised abstracts due: 1 July, 2022
Conference: 1-3 August, 2022.

Registration:
There will be no registration fee. Participation is free. However,
participants will be required to register. Registration information to
follow.

We will publish abstracts in an online proceedings. Authors will
retain copyright.

Submission guidelines:
Anonymous abstracts should be submitted to EasyChair at the following
link https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=edll2022.
Abstracts should be written in English and be no more than one page of
text, single line spacing, with an optional second page for tables,
figures and references. In order to produce cohesive formatting in the
proceedings, we ask that authors use the following formatting. Please
use 11-point Arial or Helvetica font for the whole abstract, including
the title. The titles should appear in bold font, centred and in
sentence case (capitalize only the first letter of the first word and
lower case elsewhere). For LaTeX users, you can use the package
`helvet` or any other package that produces an Arial or Helvetica-like
font.

Please ensure that you enter the correct author information in your
submission: any changes to authorship after the call has closed will
require the consent of all original authors.

Programme committee
Jessie Nixon
Fabian Tomaschek
Harald Baayen