[CogSci] PhD applications are open for the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Language and Communicative Disorders

Tracy Love, Ph.D. tlove at sdsu.edu
Sun Oct 24 13:28:05 PDT 2021

*** Please circulate as appropriate. Apologies for cross-posting ***

Dear Colleagues,

We are now accepting applications for our Ph.D. program (flyer and brochure
attached). Admissions information (and deadlines) can be found on our
website at http://slhs.sdsu.edu/phd/admissions/application/.

The SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in *Language and Communicative
Disorders* (JDP-LCD) is designed to educate a new generation of scientists
who are interested in applying state-of-the-art research skills to the
study of language and communicative disorders.  Our interdisciplinary
program, the only program of its kind in California, provides training in
normal (spoken and signed) language, language disorders, multilingualism,
and in the neural bases of language learning, use, and loss.  Our doctoral
program ranked fourth on the Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index rankings
compiled by Academic Analytics and released by *The Chronicle of Higher
Education *in 2007.  The National Research Council (NRC) ranked our
doctoral program among the top ten in the nation in their most recent
rankings.  The majority of our graduates hold university faculty positions
or research scientist positions in labs here in the US and abroad.

*GOALS:*

1. To provide doctoral training in the study of language and communicative
behavior with an interdisciplinary focus that integrates state-of-the-art
knowledge from the fields of communicative disorders, cognitive science,
neurosciences, psychology and linguistics represented by the expertise of
core faculty from SDSU and UCSD.

2. To prepare professionals, educated in the interface between behavioral
and cognitive neuroscience methodologies, who will provide critical
leadership in research and health services.

3. To prepare Ph.D.-level scientists in the field of language and
communicative disorders to serve as faculty in university programs and
scientists in a variety of settings to carry out much-needed research on
the processes of language development, disorders, assessment and
intervention.

4. To prepare researchers to carry out much-needed research in
communicative behavior and disorders in bilingualism.

*ASHA CLINICAL CERTIFICATION:*

Although this is a research Ph.D. program, the School of Speech, Language,
and Hearing Sciences at SDSU offers a separate clinical graduate program in
Speech-Language Pathology.  It may be possible to complete a CF or obtain
academic and clinical training concurrently with doctoral studies. Access
to clinical training is not automatic nor is it guaranteed.

*RESOURCES AND SUPPORT:*

Our program at SDSU resides in a clinical, research, and academic building
with state-of-the-art Speech-Language and Audiology clinics, high-tech
labs, and great instructional facilities.  These resources, combined with
the outstanding facilities at UCSD, provide doctoral students with the best
possible training environment. Several different funding sources are used
to support doctoral students including program scholarships, graduate
assistantships, in-state and out-of-state fee support, and faculty grants.
Some doctoral students receive funding from our NIH doctoral training grant
(NIDCD T32 DC00731) “Neurocognitive Approaches to Communication Disorders
<https://slhs.sdsu.edu/phd/files/2017/05/jdp-training-grant2017.pdf>
(2017-2022). Contact Dr. Tracy Love <tlove at mail.sdsu.edu> for more
information regarding this training grant.

Warm Regards,
Tracy

*Tracy Love, Ph.D. | *pronouns <https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why/>
: she/her/hers

*Dean, College of Graduate Studies <https://grad.sdsu.edu/>*

*Professor, School of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences*

San Diego State University

5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, California 92182-8220

*SDSU honors and respects Native and Indigenous people and acknowledges
that our campus resides on the traditional land of the Kumeyaay.  *