[CogSci] Brainhack Washington DC USA 2021

Junaid Merchant merchantjs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:56:42 PST 2021

Hello everyone,

We are very excited to announce that this year's Brainhack DC will take
place on December 10-12, 2021! However, we need your input for deciding
between a fully virtual or a hybrid event with the in-person portion at
Georgetown University. We invite researchers of all career stages (faculty,
postdocs, graduate students, postbacs, etc.) to visit our website, register
for the event, and indicate your preference for the format of the event by
November 12th: (https://brainhackdc.github.io/2021/). You can also access
the registration form here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeEZNZIw-ib0nBMjomNfmhK-jNNViV6sU_0pgmHjrj3ZRfAng/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
Registration will remain open until Dec 9th, but we will decide whether the
event will be hybrid or fully online based on the preferences indicated by
the majority of registrants on November 12th.

As a satellite event of the international Brainhack Global
<https://brainhack.org/global2021/> effort, Brainhack DC will occur on
December 10-12, 2021. Please join the Brainhack community for this
three-day event to work on projects to solve challenges in neuroscience,
learn new skills, and make new connections along the way.

In contrast to conventional conferences (which are structured around the
lecturer-audience paradigm), Brainhacks are designed to maximize
interactions between all participants, allowing them to work in a highly
collaborative manner throughout the event. Additional information about
Brainhacks can be found in our recent publication in Neuron
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627321002312>.

[image: BrainHack DC.gif]

How does it work?

   -

   Brainhack DC 2021 welcomes project proposals related to neuroscience,
   including projects on reproducibility, equity/inclusivity, big data,
   machine learning, and neuroimaging preprocessing and analysis pipelines.
   -

   Participants are encouraged to propose their projects at this link
   <https://brainhack.org/global2021/projects/> and pitch their project
   ideas during the opening remarks.
   -

   After project pitches, all participants will choose a project to “hack”
   on. Brainhacking will occur for three days, during which you will have the
   opportunity to interact with and learn from others with a shared interest
   in neuroscience and open science.
   -

   Attendees can also participate in hands-on tutorial sessions throughout
   the event to learn how to use new research tools. Working sessions may be
   accompanied by small “unconferences” during which any participant can
   propose a pop-up discussion about any topic (related to projects or not).
   -

   After the Brainhack, you will have learned new skills, contributed to
   the sprouting of new projects and tools that will help advance
   neuroscientific research, and your group may want to submit outputs as a
   conference paper at Brainhack Proceedings
   <https://brainhack-proceedings.github.io/about/>.

Please forward this to anyone else who may be interested!

Best,

The Brainhack DC 2021 Organizing Team

Flo Martinez Addiego, Arshitha Basavaraj, Katie Berluti, Jessica Dafflon,
Marissa Laws, Liza Levitis, Junaid S Merchant, Dustin Moraczewski, Adnan
Rashid, Shawn Rhoads, & Joscelin Rocha-Hidalgo

--
Shawn Rhoads
Ph.D. Candidate | NSF GRFP Fellow '18 | Georgetown University