[CogSci] New REU site: Interdisciplinary Mind & Brain Studies at Penn

Schwarz, Florian florians at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 11 05:32:35 PST 2021

[apologies for cross-posting]

Dear Colleagues,

We’re excited to start off a new Research Experience for Undergraduates program in the cognitive sciences at Penn this summer (pending official award notification from the NSF), which includes several possible faculty advisors in linguistics/psycholinguistics, as well as in psychology and other related fields. We’re eager to recruit talented students from a diverse range of backgrounds, including from Colleges with limited research opportunities. It’s a 10-week program with housing and a stipend. (Penn students have largely been residing on campus this spring, and we hope to be able to bring participants in this program to campus as well, although activities may well continue to largely take place virtually, depending on the public health situation). More details below and at:

https://mindcore.sas.upenn.edu/research-experience-for-undergraduates-in-interdisciplinary-mind-brain-studies/

Turnaround time for applications is tight for our first year, so we appreciate your help in getting the word out there and encouraging relevant students to apply by March 24th!

Best,
--
Florian Schwarz
Associate Professor & Undergraduate Chair of Linguistics<https://www.ling.upenn.edu/>

Research Experience for Undergraduates site in Interdisciplinary Mind & Brain Studies at the University of Pennsylvania
Supported by the National Science Foundation (pending official award notification)

This program offers an integrated paid ten-week summer research experience for eight (non-Penn) students that combines the opportunity to work on a research project in an established lab at an R1 university with an introductory workshop on brains and behavior and ongoing programming to support student development and well-being.

Run by MindCORE (Mind Center for Outreach, Research and Education)—the school-wide hub at the University of Pennsylvania for studying human intelligence and behavior— MindCORE’s animating philosophy is that building an understanding of human intelligence and behavior requires bringing to bear tools and insights from multiple disciplinary traditions. To achieve this goal, MindCORE brings together faculty with diverse approaches to the study of the mind and brain (e.g., Biology, Neuroscience, Psychology, Linguistics, Philosophy, Computer Science) that cross multiple schools in the university (e.g., Arts & Sciences, Medicine, Engineering, Communications, Business).

http://florianschwarz.net

Check out PCIbex<https://www.pcibex.net/>, my lab’s free and versatile online experiment tool.
Create your own experiment<https://farm.pcibex.net/> in just a few minutes.
See full documentation<https://doc.pcibex.net/> for more details.