[CogSci] Lab Tech in Bergelson Lab at Duke, summer 2021 start

Elika Bergelson elika.bergelson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 16:57:04 PDT 2021

Dear Colleagues,

Please share with relevant recent (or imminently finishing) undergrads and
feel free to contact me with questions. Position details below.

This is for a *lab technician* in Duke's Psychology & Neuroscience
department, starting *summer 2021.*

Apologies for cross-posting.

best,

Elika
p.s.  All applicants must officially apply through our HR system, but I'm
happy for folks to let me know they've applied as the HR system can behave
unexpectedly sometimes.  The link is here:
https://careers.duke.edu/job/Durham-RESEARCH-TECHNICIAN-II%2C-PSYCHOLOGY-&-NEUROSCIENCE-NC-27710/728919500/

The Bergelson Lab at Duke <http://bergelsonlab.com/index.html>, a federally
funded lab in Duke's Psychology & Neuroscience department, is seeking a
Research Technician II (i.e. a lab tech) with excellent programming skills
for a summer start date.  Applications will be reviewed beginning in April and
will continue until a suitable candidate is selected (likely in May).

Start date will be early summer (e.g. June 1). This is a one year grant
funded position with possibility of renewal.

The Bergelson Lab studies language acquisition, with a focus on early word
learning. Research projects in the lab investigate both the relation
between word learning and other aspects of linguistic representation
(phonetics, syntax, prosody) and the interface between word learning and
socio-cognitive development writ large.

Research in the lab centers around corpus methods, used to analyze the
SEEDLingS
Corpus <http://bergelsonlab.com/seedlings/index.html> (a rich longitudinal
audio/video/comprehension/production corpus), behavioral methods (e.g.
eye-tracking, discrimination, and production studies), and
neuroscientific methods
(EEG) to query infant language development.

The Research Technician II will also have the opportunity to be part of
international collaborative projects, involving speech-technology,
computational modeling, and naturalistic recordings.

The Research Technician II will work alongside full-time lab staff, PhD
students, postdocs, undergrads, and the PI to maintain our existing
codebases (Bergelson Lab GitHub repo
<https://github.com/BergelsonLab/>, SEEDLingS
GitHub repo <https://github.com/SeedlingsBabylab/>), create and document
new scripts and workflows (Bergelson Lab GitBook
<https://app.gitbook.com/@bergelsonlab>), and provide support for working
with experimental and naturalistic data in the lab. There are often 1-2
undergraduate RAs directly supervised by the Research Technician II in this
role.

Our lab staff typically go on to excellent research positions and/or PhDs
(n=5) at top institutions and have taken advantage of opportunities to
co-author research publications and presentations in their own areas of
interest and in ongoing projects in the lab.

Desiderata include:

* strong programming background (python along with some combination of R,
matlab, ruby, bash, html, Go, C++, java, and LaTeX)

* experience with Python's scientific libraries (Pandas, NumPy, SciPy) and
IPython Notebooks

* experience with R's tidyverse. experience with RStudio's Shiny
application framework is a plus.

* high skill level and comfort with Github

* command line chops (Linux, Linux subsystem for Windows, or other
POSIX-compatible shell)

* familiarity with basic IT (networks, VPNs, basic hardware knowledge)

* familiarity with relevant software (e.g. Praat, Python, Audacity,
Datavyu, R, FFmpeg)

* coursework and research experience in algorithms and data structures,
data science, machine learning, human research design and implementation
(cognition and/or developmental psych, cogsci, linguistics, and related
fields)

Duke Psychology and Neuroscience has a strong community of researchers (see
primary faculty here <http://psychandneuro.duke.edu/people/primary-faculty>).
Colleagues with highly relevant research in the department notably include
Drs. Michael Tomasello, Rita Svetlova, and Makeba Wilbourne. We are
part of Duke
CHILD Studies <http://psychandneuro.duke.edu/childstudies>.

Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to
providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age,
color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or
veteran status.

~~~~~~~~
*Elika Bergelson, PhD*
Crandall Family Assistant Professor, Duke University
Psychology & Neuroscience Dept.
Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
Linguistics (secondary)