[CogSci] PhD positions in language at the University of Arizona

Vicky Lai vicky.tzuyin.lai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:36:55 PDT 2020

Please circulate as appropriate. Apologies for cross-posting.

*PhD positions in language at the University of Arizona*

Several language faculty in the Departments of Psychology and Speech
Language and Hearing Sciences at the University of Arizona (
https://psycholinguistics.sites.arizona.edu/) are soliciting applications
for PhD students to begin in the fall of 2021.

A PhD position is available at the Cognitive Neuroscience of Language
Laboratory (website: https://neurolang.lab.arizona.edu/) directed by Dr.
Vicky Lai within the Department of Psychology. Our current research focuses
are figurative language, emotional language, and the interface between the
two, across the life span. We primarily use ERP and fMRI methods, though
other techniques such as TMS (MR compatible), pupillometry, and machine
learning are available through collaborations with other faculty in
Psychology, Biomedical Engineering, and School of Information. Interested
applicants should contact Dr. Vicky Lai at tzuyinlai at email.arizona.edu and
apply here https://psychology.arizona.edu/academics/apply-graduate-program
by December 1, 2020.

A PhD position is available in the Child Cognition Lab (
https://www.childcognitionlab.arizona.edu) directed by Dr. Rebecca Gomez.
Our current research focuses on infant and child language acquisition at
the interface of language and cognitive processes. I am particularly
interested in how language acquisition changes as children acquire
knowledge of language and as memory abilities develop. Specific areas of
interest are statistical learning and word learning. See our publications
here https://psychology.arizona.edu/users/rebecca-gomez. Interested
applicants should contact Dr. Rebecca Gomez at rgomez@ arizona.edu and
apply here https://psychology.arizona.edu/academics/apply-graduate-program
by December 1, 2020.

A PhD position is available at the Language and Neuroimaging Research
Laboratory directed by Dr. Aneta Kielar (website:
http://akielar.faculty.arizona.edu/) within the Department of Speech
Language and Hearing Sciences. The focus of the laboratory is neural basis
of language and neurogenic language disorders. We conduct multidisciplinary
research that spans several areas including cognitive neuroscience,
linguistics and cognitive science. Successful candidates will have an
opportunity to conduct research using high density EEG system, fMRI and
rTMS. Interested applicants should contact Dr. Aneta Kielar at
akielar at email.arizona.edu and apply here
https://apply.grad.arizona.edu/users/login. More information about PhD
Program can be found here: https://slhs.arizona.edu/students/phd-program.
The application deadlines are February 1st, 2021 for the Fall semester and
September 1st for the Spring Semester.

The University of Arizona is committed to meeting the needs of its
multi-varied communities by recruiting diverse faculty, staff, and
students. The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA-M/W/D/V Employer. As an
equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, the University of
Arizona recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages
applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives, and
backgrounds.

Tucson has been rated “the most affordable largecity in the U.S.” and was
the first city in the US to be designated as a World Cityof Gastronomy by
the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and CulturalOrganization
(UNESCO). With easy access to both a vibrant arts and culturescene and
outdoor activities ranging from hiking to rock climbing to birdwatching,
Tucson offers a bit of something for everyone.