[CogSci] Call for papers: Modeling Virtual Humans for Understanding the Mind

Ulysses Bernardet u.bernardet at aston.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 12:26:06 PDT 2020

Call for papers

Frontiers in Psychology Research Topic

*Modeling Virtual Humans for Understanding the Mind*
<https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/13415/modeling-virtual-humans-for-understanding-the-mind>

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/13415/modeling-virtual-humans-for-understanding-the-mind

Models are a central tool for understanding complex systems such as humans.
However, modelling in cognitive science and psychology faces the challenge
that on the one hand, purely theoretical models tend to be unspecified and
inconsistent, and, on the other hand, complex, large-scale models are
difficult to test. In this Research Topic, we explore the methodology of
constructing autonomous, computer-generated (virtual) humans as a research
methodology. We propose that by embedding models in the context of
real-world interaction, we are asking questions relevant for the
understanding of the human mind. Motivated by the recent dramatic increase
in the graphical quality of computer-generated humans, the Research Topic
promotes a novel paradigm for developing and testing large-scale complex
models in psychology and cognitive science.

We welcome original research, reviews, commentaries, and perspectives on
topics which advance our understanding of cognitive processes via
computational modelling techniques, especially in virtual humans, such as

- Work that showcases the approach of embodying models in systems for
models testing

- Methods for implementing realistic virtual humans and embodying models

- Methods for quantifying human to virtual human interaction, i.e. the
evaluation of cognitive, affective, and social models.

- Theoretical papers contributing to the proposed testing methodology

Editors

Steve Richard DiPaola, Simon Fraser University Burnaby, Canada

Ulysses Bernardet, Aston University Birmingham, United Kingdom

Jonathan Gratch, University of Southern California

Submission Deadlines

*30 June 2020: *Abstract

*31 December 2020: *Manuscript

Note that there is no embargo period which means that articles that have
gone through the peer-review process and got accepted will be published as
soon as they are ready.

Kind Regards,

Ulysses Bernardet

Topic Editor,

Cognitive Science Section, Frontiers in Psychology

On behalf of the Topic Editors.