[CogSci] 2019-2020 Psych Job Market Survey

Samuel Mehr sam at wjh.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 22 16:39:43 PDT 2020

Dear CogSci,

If you were on the academic or industry job market this past cycle, please
participate in the Psych Job Market Survey: tinyurl.com/psychjobmarket2020.

The survey is intended for psych/cogsci people (loosely defined) who
applied to academic or industry jobs in the 2019-2020 cycle. It's
anonymous, though information about ethnicity, age, country, subfield may
identify some respondents; please feel free to skip any items that you
think could compromise your anonymity.

Needless to say, the academic job market can be confusing, stressful, and
replete with evidence-free advice (the pandemic isn't helping either), so
Gord Pennycook and I thought it'd be helpful to collect some data about it.
We did a similar survey last year; Gord has tweeted a summary of the
results (https://twitter.com/GordPennycook/status/1286075985662640129?s=20) and
Diego Reinero blogged for *Nature *about these and other relevant data (
https://socialsciences.nature.com/posts/55118-the-path-to-professorship-by-the-numbers-and-why-mentorship-matters
).

This sort of opt-in, nonrandomly sampled survey is evidently vulnerable to
survivorship biases, selective nonreporting, and other problems, but a bit
of data is better than no data at all. So we hope that you will share it
widely to help colleagues better understand the state of the market.

all the best,
Sam

--
Samuel Mehr