[CogSci] Remote looking preference studies in infancy (webcam studies): Call for feedback and contribution for ManyBabies-affiliated effort

sho tsuji tsujish at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:56:38 PDT 2020

The current global pandemic makes the development of remote methods to test
infant participants in their home urgent, since labs relying on assessing
infant gaze behavior are facing a situation where, potentially for a
prolonged period of time, it will not be possible to invite families for
testing. Discussion on diverse mailing lists shows that multiple labs are
considering adopting online methods.

This idea is not new and the past years have seen a push towards developing
remote, online methods to bring infant experiments to their families'
homes. Such methods would have, in all circumstances, been a highly
promising avenue towards better powered, more ecologically valid, and
diverse samples.

Our goal is to pool efforts towards developing a framework for "AtHome"
studies that researchers across universities and countries can adopt with
relative ease. We will evaluate existing solutions as well as work towards
developing new ones as needed and feasible. At the same time, we will work
towards best practices in procedure, documentation, and analysis.

We write to accomplish the following:

1. Assess what is needed for remote methods to be useful for infant
researchers

2. Gauge interest in pooling efforts to work towards a generalized
framework and protocol

3. Notify you of our efforts, and an upcoming call for participation in a
large-scale test

We thus ask all infant researchers to fill in this poll, which can be done
anonymously. We would very much appreciate all feedback.

https://forms.gle/4mZT3SYp8dSMvt4x9

With warm regards and best wishes for your safety,

Sho Tsuji

Christina Bergmann

Rhodri Cusack

Lorijn Zaadnoordijk

--
Assistant Professor
The University of Tokyo International Research Center for Neurointelligence