[CogSci] PhD positions in Language & Cognition

Gerry Altmann gerry.altmann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 13:20:51 PST 2019

Please circulate as appropriate. Apologies for cross-posting

Deadline Approaching: PhD positions in UConn’s Language & Cognition Program

The Language & Cognition  <https://langcog.psychology.uconn.edu/>faculty at the University of Connecticut’s Department of Psychological Sciences  <http://psych.uconn.edu/>are soliciting applications for up to seven new PhD students to begin in the fall of 2020.

The Language & Cognition group is a part of the Perception and Action division, one of 6 highly interactive divisions within the department. We have a strong track-record in interdisciplinary research with work spanning from theory and computational modeling to empirical cognitive and neuroscience research. Our group is a core member of three interdisciplinary graduate training programs: Neurobiology of Language (launched with NSF IGERT funding), Science of Learning & Art of Communication (funded by an NSF NRT training grant), and the Cognitive Neuroscience of Communication (funded by an NIH pre- and postdoctoral training grant). Facilities include state-of-the-art MRI, high-density EEG, tDCS, TMS, eye-tracking and other behavioral techniques, as well as access to computing clusters, lab space, and a dynamic program of colloquia, internal talk series and interest groups. We have strong collaborative links to researchers outside of UConn as well as our colleagues in Linguistics, Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences, Philosophy, Biomedical Engineering, Educational Psychology, and UConn Health and the Medical School. Typically, students are funded through a mix of fellowships and Teaching and Research Assistantships, and our students have an excellent recent track record competing for external and internal fellowships. UConn is home to a vibrant community of faculty and students and expects to see major growth in research activity over the next decade.

The Language & Cognition faculty, and their interests, include:
Gerry Altmann (Director, CT Institute for the Brain and Cognitive Sciences). Sentence processing and prediction; the mapping between language and vision; event cognition.
Roeland Hancock (Associate Director, Brain Imaging Research Center). Neurochemistry and neuromodulation; Neurobiology of sentence processing; Auditory Processing.
Fumiko Hoeft (Director, Brain Imaging Research Center). Brain development; neuroimaging; individual differences; literacy acquisition; dyslexia; impact of socio-emotional processing on learning.
Ed Large. Auditory neuroscience; music psychology; dynamical systems.
Jim Magnuson (Director, NSF NRT training program in Science of Learning & Art of Communication). Neurobiology and psychology of language; spoken word recognition; computational modeling; language and learning over the lifespan; science communication.
Emily Myers. (Co-Director, NIH training program in the Cognitive Neuroscience of Communication). Speech perception; cognitive neuroscience of speech and language; aphasia; second language acquisition.
Ken Pugh (President, Haskins Laboratories). Reading; reading disorder; neurobiology of language.
Jay Rueckl. Neurobiology and psychology of reading; implicit and explicit memory; statistical learning; computational modeling and dynamical systems.
Whit Tabor. Sentence processing; dynamical systems; language change; group coordination.
Eiling Yee. Semantic memory and the neural representation of concepts; spoken word recognition and situated/embodied language processing.
Next steps: Contact a potential advisor <https://langcog.psychology.uconn.edu/faculty-affiliates-new/>, explore UConn  <http://www.uconn.edu/>and the application procedure <https://grad.uconn.edu/prospective-student/> (you can apply directly from our own website here <https://langcog.psychology.uconn.edu/apply-to-our-doctoral-program/>). Application deadline: Priority will be given to applications received by December 1, 2019.