[CogSci] Postdoc position, Yale University

M.J. Crockett mollycrockett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 06:01:50 PDT 2019

The Crockett Lab at Yale University has a postdoctoral position available
to begin Fall 2019 or Spring/Summer 2020 (start date flexible). The
position is for one year initially and renewable for up to a total of three
years.

We are embarking on a new line of research that will benefit from diverse
topical perspectives, including social perception, self & identity,
emotion, learning, judgment & decision-making, memory, and language – so
even if your past work is not directly related to our lab’s core research
on morality, you might be a great fit for this position.

We will be using a variety of methods including behavioral experiments,
computational modeling, natural language processing, and neuroimaging. We
are looking for scholars with experience in at least one of these methods,
a PhD in Cognitive Science, Psychology, Neuroscience or related field,
strong technical skills, and enthusiasm for exploring new territory!

The postdoc will have the opportunity to shape a research program on the
cognitive science of narratives. Humans are master storytellers, and many
of the stories we tell are *moral: *there’s a villain to hate and a hero to
root for. When we narrate our own lives, we make ourselves the heroes of
our stories, and these narratives become part of our personal identities.
What are the cognitive and neural processes that guide the construction of
these narratives? How do the stories we hear and tell shape our behavior
and the behavior of others?

We believe that our science is better with a diverse team. We embrace and
encourage our lab members’ differences in age, color, disability,
ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression,
language, national origin, ability, political affiliation, race, religion,
sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other
characteristics that make our lab members who they are.

Interested applicants should send an email to Dr. Molly Crockett (
molly.crockett at yale.edu) with the subject line “POSTDOC APPLICATION” and
include a CV, contact information for 2-3 references, and a statement of
interest describing your doctoral research and how your experience might be
relevant for studying narratives, broadly construed (maximum 1 page).
Review of applications will begin on July 1 and will continue until the
position is filled.