[CogSci] CUNY 2020 at University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Brian Dillon brian at linguist.umass.edu
Mon Jun 24 07:51:54 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We are very happy to announce that the 33rd Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing will take place at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, from March 19-21st, 2020. The CUNY conference is the central North American venue for work in sentence processing, including research into the comprehension, production, and acquisition of language at the level of the sentence. Our conference is highly interdisciplinary, with strong contributions from researchers in Linguistics, Psychology, Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Education, and Philosophy alike.

The conference website may be found at: https://www.umass.edu/linguistics/cuny2020. You may reach us at cunyumass at gmail.com.

Abstracts will be due on December 5th, 2019; a call for submissions and instructions on how to submit will be disseminated later this summer.

The 2020 conference features a special session entitled "The role of linguistic theory in psycholingusitics." This special session seeks to highlight the important interdisciplinary relationship between linguists and other cognitive scientists at the heart of the CUNY community. This interdisciplinary bond has never been stronger, or more fruitful. A tight integration of work in linguistic theory and psycholinguistics has led to an explosion of interesting new findings in a range of areas, from prosody's role in syntactic comprehension on up to the neural computation of elementary semantic composition operations. The CUNY conference has helped contribute to this happy state of affairs, and our special session seeks to highlight the insight that our field has generated by exploring the back and forth between work in linguistics and in psychology. We have seven speakers lined up for the special session:

- Elsi Kaiser (USC)
- Liina Pylkkänen (NYU)
- Hannah Rohde (University of Edinburgh)
- Florian Schwarz (UPenn)
- Patrick Sturt (University of Edinbrugh)
- Matt Wagers (UC Santa Cruz)
- Duane Watson (Vanderbilt)

For further information on travel to UMass, and the area, please consult the website. We look forward to welcoming you to the Pioneer Valley in 2020!

Until then,

The CUNY 2020 Organizing Committee
Adrian Staub, Brian Dillon, John Kingston, Lyn Frazier, Mara Breen, and Shota Momma