[CogSci] Applications open for Michigan Summer Program in Cognition & Early Development (MSPICED)

Susan Gelman gelman at umich.edu
Sat Jan 19 04:59:42 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,
Apologies for cross-posting. Please share this with your lab members and
students. Our program has grown and now includes four labs studying various
aspects of cognitive and language development (Gelman, Kovelman, Warneken,
Wellman). Thanks!
Best,
Susan

* * *

Join us at the Michigan Summer Program in Cognition & Early Development
(MSPICED)

Website <http://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mspiced/>         Twitter
<https://twitter.com/MSPICED>

Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor

We are seeking motivated students to participate first hand in
developmental psychological research. Our research aims to understand the
cognitive and social foundation of young children’s behavior, including how
children think about the minds of others, how they cooperate, acquire
language, and how language shapes their thinking. We invite both UM and
non-UM students to apply!

This is a cooperation of four laboratories by Dr. Susan Gelman
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/gelman-lab/>, Dr. Ioulia Kovelman
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/kovelman-lab/>, Dr. Felix Warneken
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/warneken/>, and Dr. Henry Wellman
<https://lsa.umich.edu/psych/research&labs/infantcognition/>.

Our program lasts 10 weeks, from June 3 to August 9, 2019. You will be
paired with a graduate student or postdoctoral mentor to work on
cutting-edge research (see Researchers
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mspiced/research/>). You will gain experience
and exposure to a variety of research activities, including: conducting
experimental studies with children; data analysis using advanced video
coding technology and statistical software; recruiting and scheduling child
participants and their families; and aiding in the development of research
design. We also offer an introduction to developmental neuroscience using
Near Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS) and hands-on training for conducting
statistical analyses.

In addition to participating in research, you will attend weekly lab
meetings and reading groups. This gives everyone a chance to learn more
about current developments in psychological research and provide feedback
on ongoing projects. The program includes sessions on professional
development, such as paths towards graduate school and advice on how to
write research statements. You will also participate in several social
events aimed to foster relationships among interns and members of the
Psychology Department, including a poster fair to showcase the project you
conducted over the summer.

You can find more information about our internship program here
<https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mspiced/> and fill out an online application
form <https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/mspiced/publications/>. Applications are
now open and will close February 15, 2019, at midnight EST.

An interest in psychology and working with children is essential, and
previous experience is a plus. We offer half-time (20 hours a week) and
full-time internships (40 hours a week). Some funding is available,
especially for qualified underrepresented students. Applicants who come
from an educational, cultural, or geographic background that is
underrepresented in graduate study in their discipline in the United States
or at the University of Michigan, should identify as such on the
application form.

For questions, please send us an email at MSPICED-admin at umich.edu

--
Susan A. Gelman
Heinz Werner Distinguished University Professor

tel.: 734.764.0268
e-mail:  gelman at umich.edu

http://sites.lsa.umich.edu/gelman-lab/