[CogSci] For Online Survey: How can I be more clear about dominance scale(text/visual/anything)?

sudhakar Mishra rs163 at iiita.ac.in
Mon Apr 8 21:00:02 PDT 2019

Hi,

I am creating an online survey which includes rating on dominance scale.

Information about other scales can be explained using words but description
about dominance scale is not of much use due to ambiguity in description.

For example, The definition of scales are:

Valence: The dimension of valence is the negative-positive valence of
emotion and ranges from unpleasant to pleasant(unhappy to happy).

Arousal: Psychological arousal is the activation state of emotion, which
ranges from bored to excited(inactive to active).

Dominance: A person's feeling of dominance in a situation is based on the
extent to which he feels unrestricted or free to act in a variety of ways.

For the valence and arousal scale I have created a 2d space of valence and
arousal but at the same time third dimension can not be included(due to
difficulty in visualization). So, I am thinking about depicting the
dominance pictorially including some exemplary scenes. Is there any other
way to inform about dominance scale more clearly in online survey?

If you are also thinking the idea of picture is better, please help me in
collecting such pictures.

Sincerely,

Sudhakar Mishra
Research Scholar