[CogSci] Please complete and share: Survey of Linguists and Language Researchers

Savithry Namboodiripad savithryn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:59:27 PST 2018

Please complete and share this short anonymous survey on your experiences
in linguistics and related fields -- we want to hear from researchers at
all stages of their careers, from all over the world, whose work relates to
language in some way. We welcome responses from those who have left
academia as well.

Link: https://umich.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9oaKQ2xrX9ngmOx

More details here:

This survey is being undertaken by Lynn Y-S Hou (University of California,
San Diego), Savithry Namboodiripad (University of Michigan), & Corrine
Occhino (Rochester Institute of Technology). It is motivated by the recent
discussions around climate and harassment in Linguistics and related
fields, and we ask two main questions:

Q1: How have our identities shaped our professional experiences?
Q2: How can we improve the climate in our field(s)?

In order to address these larger questions, the questions in this survey
address the following more specific topics:

   - Who are we?
   - In what fields and departments are we working?
   - How do we perceive the climate in our field(s)?
   - What barriers have there been to a positive climate?
   - What has facilitated a positive climate?

Ultimately, we wish to empower individuals to speak about their experiences
as members of this community, and to collect information which can be used
to offer solutions for those who would like to work toward a more inclusive
community.

We know your time is valuable: the survey takes about 20 min if you
complete every section, but just completing the multiple choice questions
takes less than 5 minutes! And, you don't have to do it all in one sitting!

Questions and comments can be directed to savithry at umich.edu