[CogSci] Stanford CSLI Summer Program 2018

Michael C. Frank mcfrank at stanford.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:10:06 PST 2017

Dear all,

I'm writing to announce the fifth year of our summer program for mentored
research in cognitive science at Stanford. Please forward to any interested
undergraduate students, especially those from diverse backgrounds.

With apologies for cross-posting,

Mike

---
Michael C. Frank
Associate Professor
Department of Psychology
Stanford University
450 Serra Mall (Room 420-278a)
Stanford, CA 94305
650-724-4003
http://langcog.stanford.edu

***** STANFORD CSLI SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM 2018 *****

Join us at Stanford for an interdisciplinary summer research experience
program in the cognitive sciences!

At the Center for the Study of Language and Information, interns will work
closely with a faculty, postdoc, or grad student mentor on an original
cognitive science research project. They will gain experience developing
the project, collecting data, and analyzing the results. In addition to
their individual projects, interns will attend weekly mentorship meetings
and seminars with such topics as reading a scientific paper, introduction
to data analysis, statistics and visualization, and presentation skills.
The program will culminate with each intern presenting their work to an
interdisciplinary audience. Accepted students will receive on-campus room
and board, and a stipend to cover travel, and other expenses.

The topical focus of the program will be on language, learning,
computation, and cognition, with an emphasis on giving students the skills
they need to complete an independent project. Mentors will be from
cognitive science departments across Stanford, including psychology,
linguistics, computer science, and philosophy.

The program is 8 weeks, from 6/25/18 - 8/17/18, and is primarily intended
for rising college Juniors and Seniors, though we will consider other
applicants as well. Applications are due by midnight on February 16, 2018.
One goal of the internship is to increase the diversity of the graduate
school pipeline, and we therefore especially encourage applicants who come
from groups that are historically underrepresented in research careers,
such as Black/African American, Latinx/Hispanic, American Indian or Alaskan
Native, Pacific Islander, and first-generation college students. We also
welcome applications from students without prior research experience and
from non-research institutions. For more information and an application
form, please see https://www-csli.stanford.edu/csli-summer-internship-pro
gram-2018*.*  The CSLI Internship Program is supported in part by the NSF's
Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program (award #1659585).