[CogSci] CDS pre-conference worksop on AI and Cognitive Development

Annya Dahmani adahmani at g.ucla.edu
Mon Mar 4 10:35:54 PST 2024

Dear all,

We are thrilled to announce a 2024 Cognitive Development Society
pre-conference workshop, *AI and Cognitive Development: "Instead of trying
to produce a program to simulate the adult mind, why not rather try to
produce one which simulates the child's?
<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.edu/cogdevai-workshop/home>"* on
Thursday, March 21, 2024, 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM, in Pasadena, California.

*Pre-Conference Description: *
In 1950, Alan Turing proposed the Turing Test in his seminal Computing
Machinery and Intelligence. In this paper, he also suggested building
machines that simulate the mind of a child. We propose an interdisciplinary
workshop that takes Turing’s ideas into action. We can leverage lessons on
how children navigate the world and process information to build machines
that learn like humans do. We propose an interdisciplinary workshop that
brings together researchers in the cognitive development and artificial
intelligence fields. The goals of this workshop include: introducing the
cutting-edge research that is being conducted in this intersection,
addressing future directions, and raising questions about the field. The
format of the workshop consists of experts in this intersection giving
talks followed by Q&As. All invited speakers will take part in a panel
concluding the workshop.

Invited speakers include: *Alison Gopnik, Bria Long, Joshua Tenenbaum,
Moira Dillon, Hadar Karmazyn-Raz, Linda Smith, Deepak Pathak, Kelsey
Allen, *and *Laura Schulz*.

*Cost: *This full-day workshop will be $30 for students/postdocs, $50 for
faculty.

Questions about the pre-conference can be directed to *Annya Dahmani *(
adahmani at berkeley.edu) or *Eliza Kosoy *(eko at berkeley.edu) or *Rose Reagan *
(gopniklabmanager at berkeley.edu).

Best,
Annya Dahmani