[CogSci] Postdoc Researcher - Rutgers University, New Brunswick

Michelle Hurst michelle.hurst at rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 10 13:25:03 PST 2024

Hi CogSci,

** apologies for cross-posting **

The Quantitative Development Lab (Quad Lab) at Rutgers University - New Brunswick (PI: Dr. Michelle Hurst, https://hurstmichelle.github.io/) is seeking applications for a postdoctoral researcher. The Quad Lab investigates how people track and use quantitative information in their environment and how our strategies for doing so vary systematically across contexts and development. To address these questions, we do experimental empirical research with infants, children, and adults – both online and in person – and use mathematical and computational models.

The postdoc will be primarily working on an NICHD funded research project investigating the development of proportional reasoning strategies (see grant summary on the NIH RePORTER: https://reporter.nih.gov/search/yxqmbFydZkuHiIKKkoS0LA/project-details/10912965). The postdoc can also develop new studies in collaboration with the PI and other lab members/collaborators. The Quad Lab is part of the Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science<https://ruccs.rutgers.edu/> (RuCCS), as well as the Department of Psychology, providing ample opportunity for interdisciplinary and cross-area collaborations. The postdoc will also be encouraged to submit a postdoctoral/training grant, based on their eligibility and interest (e.g., NIH F32, Spencer Award, K99/R00).

Competitive candidates will have a Ph.D. in Cognitive Science, Psychology, Human Development, or a related field by appointment start date. Additionally, competitive candidates should demonstrate:

  *   Experience and comfort working with children (not necessarily in a research setting, though that is preferred);
  *   Good interpersonal and teaching skills, to mentor and support a team of undergraduate students;
  *   Strong communication and writing skills;
  *   Experience with (or an ability to learn) R, Python, PsychoPy, jsPsych, and/or Lookit. Experience with one or more of these tools is preferred, but candidates with a demonstrated ability to learn new skills quickly (and particularly to learn quantitative/coding skills) may be considered, even without prior experience with these tools.

I will begin reviewing applications on Wednesday January 24th, and will continue reviewing applications until the position is filled. Start date is flexible (ideally between May – Aug 2024). I’m happy to talk more with folks who might be interested!

For specific details and to apply, see: https://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/215293

--
Michelle Hurst
Assistant Professor