[CogSci] Cognitive Neuroscience Research positions in Coimbra Portugal - open call for 2024

Jorge Almeida jorgecbalmeida at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 08:03:47 PDT 2024

The Proaction Laboratory (proactionlab.fpce.uc.pt) at the University
Coimbra Portugal is looking for Researchers at initial stages (post-PhD) of
their career to be part of the lab in a joint competitive application to a
Portuguese Science Foundation (FCT) independent researcher call. We
particularly encourage applications from women, and from underrepresented
groups in academia.

The applicants should have obtained a PhD, and have an interest in
cognitive neuroscience, vision science and preferably (but not limited to)
object recognition, shape processing, and texture and surface processing.
We are particularly interested in motivated and independent Researchers
addressing these topics with strong expertise in fMRI (in particular
decoding and multivariate apporaches). Good programming skills, great
communication and mentoring skills, and a great command of English are a
plus.

The applicant and the lab will work on a competitive project to be
submitted. Results from the application are expected to be out mid 2025.
The application will be open September 30, and will close November 29, 2024.

The positions are as independent researchers in the Proaction Lab, are for
3 years, and the salary is the same as the Portuguese payroll for
University Professors (net values for junior or assistant positions, for
instance are approximately 1700 or 2100 euros net-value per month in a
14-month salary per year; these are competitive salaries for the cost of
living in Portugal and especially in Coimbra).

The Proaction Lab is currently very well funded as we have a set of
on-going funded projects including a Starting Grant ERC to Jorge Almeida, a
major European ERA Chair project to Jorge ALmeida and Alfonso Caramzza, and
other projects. We have access to a 3T MRI scanner with a 32-channel coil,
to tDCS, and to a fully set psychophysics lab. We have a 256 ch EEG, motion
tracking and eyetracking on site. We also have a science communication
office dedicated to the lab.

Finally, the University of Coimbra is a 700 year old University and has
been selected as a UNESCO world Heritage site. Coimbra is one of the most
lively university cities in the world, and it is a beautiful city with easy
access to the beach and mountain.

You should apply as soon as you can - the sooner the better so that we can
prepare the application. If interested send an email to
jorgecbalmeida at gmail.com, with a CV, and motivation/scientific proposal
letter. If there is a fit, we will jointly apply to these positions – we
have had in past applications a high success rate as a lab (in four
previous editions, we got several applications that were offered a
position).