[CogSci] [Webinar on May 23] CogIST Cognitive Webinar Series: Hans Rutger Bosker - Prosody in the Voice, Face, and Hands Changes Which Words You Hear

Cog IST organizasyon.cogist at gmail.com
Tue May 16 01:41:50 PDT 2023

Dr. Hans Rutger Bosker (Donders Institute of Radboud University) will be
with us at the 14th event of the Cognitive Webinar series.

*Date: May 23rd, TuesdayTime: 17:00 (GMT +3), 16:00 (CET), 10:00 AM (EDT)*

In order to join the event, please fill the application here:
https://forms.gle/3yob7dNv6qk5z9KK8

*Prosody in the voice, face, and hands changes which words you hear*
Speech may be characterized as conveying both segmental information (i.e.,
about vowels and consonants) as well as suprasegmental information - cued
through pitch, intensity, and duration - also known as the prosody of
speech. In this contribution, I will argue that prosody shapes low-level
speech perception, changing which speech sounds we hear. Perhaps the most
notable example of how prosody guides word recognition is the phenomenon of
lexical stress, whereby suprasegmental F0, intensity, and duration cues can
distinguish otherwise segmentally identical words, such as "PLAto" vs.
"plaTEAU" in Dutch. Work from our group showcases the vast variability in
how different talkers produce stressed vs. unstressed syllables, while also
unveiling the remarkable flexibility with which listeners can learn to
handle this between-talker variability. It also emphasizes that lexical
stress is a multimodal linguistic phenomenon, with the voice, lips, and
even hands conveying stress in concert. In turn, human listeners actively
weigh these multisensory cues to stress depending on the listening
conditions at hand. Finally, lexical stress is presented as having a robust
and lasting impact on low-level speech perception, even down to changing
vowel perception. Thus, prosody - in all its multisensory forms - is a
potent factor in speech perception, determining what speech sounds we hear.

Bosker, H. R., & Peeters, D. (2021). Beat gestures influence which speech
sounds you hear. *Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences*,
*288*(1943), 20202419. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2020.2419

*---*

CogIST is an independent community run by volunteering students to promote
cognitive science and make it more accessible in Istanbul and in Turkey.
Cognitive Webinar is held online, entirely in English and aims to reach an
international audience. CogIST seeks to provide a platform not just for
science communication but also for interaction and connection of academics
from all over the world with the help of this series, where researchers and
scientists give a talk on various topics in cognitive science.

If you have any questions regarding our community and events, please
contact us at info.cogist at gmail.com or @cog_ist on Twitter.