[CogSci] Al Bregman's auditory scene analysis demos

Samuel Mehr mehr at hey.com
Thu Jun 15 04:33:21 PDT 2023

Dear CogSci,

You may have heard that Al Bregman, a pioneer of auditory perception
research, passed away a few weeks ago.

As a tribute to his work, and to preserve and disseminate it, with the
permission of Abigail Sibley and Christopher Lyons we have created a
page at <https://www.themusiclab.org/bregman> that makes his auditory
scene analysis demos easily accessible to the world. In consultation
with faculty members at McGill Psychology, we have also created a
permanent archive of Bregman's personal website, which contains quite a
few additional resources, at <https://themusiclab.github.io/bregman-
archive>.

The demos are wonderful examples of how basic aspects of auditory
perception work, they are fantastic for use in undergraduate lectures on
perception and hearing, and they are also just a lot of fun to listen
to. Courtney Hilton, a postdoc in my lab, designed the page; and Steve
Pinker, who was one of Bregman's undergraduate advisees at McGill, wrote
the introductory text.

We hope the page is useful to you and encourage you to share it with
your students.

Sam

———
Samuel Mehr
School of Psychology, University of Auckland
and Child Study Center, Yale University
Be a citizen scientist at themusiclab.org <https://themusiclab.org>!