[CogSci] Internship opening: Applied Behavioral Science Intern @ Toyota Research Institute

Justin Holder justin.holder.ctr at tri.global
Tue Dec 12 11:59:27 PST 2023

At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the
quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to
amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in
mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Human-Centered AI, Human
Interactive Driving, Energy and Materials, Machine Learning, and
Robotics.

This is a Summer 2024 paid 12-week internship opportunity. Please note
that this internship will be a hybrid in-office role.

The Mission

This internship opportunity falls within the Carbon Neutrality
Department in the Human-Centered AI Division (HCAI). At the core of
our research, we aim to understand, simulate, and shape carbon-neutral
behaviors and the technology that enables them.

The Team

We are an integrated team of behavioral scientists, machine learning
researchers, and human-computer interaction experts. Our Applied
Behavioral Scientists bridge our research with the next generation of
Toyota products and strategy.

The Internship

We are looking for an Applied Behavioral Science intern with
methodological expertise in experimental design and data analysis and
topical expertise in at least one of the following areas:
Decision-making, behavior change, or intervention development and
testing, especially in the context of carbon neutrality.

We will match the interns with mentors based on their experience. Over
the course of the project, in addition to Carbon Neutrality group
meetings, you will also participate in all Human-Centered AI Division
meetings. You will be exposed to how interdisciplinary industrial
research works and learn from our team and the other interns in our
division. Furthermore, you will engage in strategy discussions about
how your internship research project connects to business impact at
Toyota.

Our goal is that you end the summer with work that informs internal
strategy and may be publishable in an academic journal or conference.

Responsibilities

- Scope a research project to align with our Carbon Neutrality Applied
Behavioral Science efforts
- Be the primary driver of the technical plan (e.g., study design,
model development, analysis plan) with regular feedback from mentors
- Implement the project using TRI resources
- Present the project’s approach and findings in research meetings to
the Carbon Neutral Department, the HCAI Division, and TRI, as well as
to team members from Toyota business groups

Qualifications

- Enrolled in a PhD degree program
- Track record of performing research projects from start to finish
- Desire to work on challenging, open-ended research projects
- Desire to be part of a highly interdisciplinary team, and an
understanding of how this will improve your work
- Desire to apply research skills and findings to real-world problems
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously while soliciting feedback
- Interested in the topic space of carbon neutrality, electrified
vehicles, and behavior change

Please add a link to Google Scholar and include a full list of
publications when submitting your CV to this position.

The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is
expected to be between $45 and $65/hour for California-based roles;
however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple
individualized factors, including market location, job-related
knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous
benefits package including vacation and sick time. Details of
participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee
receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the
categories of personal information that we collect from individuals
who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute,
Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and
the purposes for which we use such personal information.

TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with
unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated
to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the
values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity
makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment
Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color,
creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation,
national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical
condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran
status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local
laws.

You can apply here -
https://jobs.lever.co/tri/f1038f5e-d7ed-4242-a830-a0bbaca39e29

--
Justin Holder
Toyota Research Institute

--

Confidential or protected information may be contained in this email
and/or attachment. Unless otherwise marked, all TRI email communications