[CogSci] Second Call!: Special issue on psycholinguistics responding to the war in Ukraine

Joshua Hartshorne hartshoj at bc.edu
Thu May 12 08:28:17 PDT 2022

For those of you wishing you could apply your scientific knowledge to the
great issues of our day, who realize that your knowledge of
psycholinguistics is not going to solve all or even many of our problems,
but who would like to still be a tiny part of the solution, this is for you.

At the request of colleagues in Ukraine, I am editing a special issue of a
Ukrainian psycholinguistics journal. This will cover research broadly
relevant to the present conflict, including work on propaganda and
disinformation, language learning by refugees, code-switching and
affiliation, and many other topics we as a field work on. Please consider
whether you have something to contribute to help support this journal
during a difficult time. Read on below.

Special issue, call for abstracts: Language & War (East European Journal of
Psycholinguistics; https://eejpl.vnu.edu.ua/)

Guest editor: Joshua Hartshorne, Boston College (l3atbc.org)

This special issue will cover psycholinguistic research relevant to war &
displacement, understood broadly. Example themes include:

● Disinformation, propaganda, & the pragmatics of believability
● Language learning in refugees
● Effects of stress and PTSD on language & language learning
● The role of political & social conflict on diachronic language evolution
● Code switching and affiliation during military conflict
● The effects of bias, distrust, and social conflict on real-time language
processing

Papers need not directly involve the Ukrainian language or Ukrainian
refugees, though these are of course particularly welcome and will be given
special consideration.

*Deadline for abstract submission: June 1, 2022*

Invited papers due: August 15, 2022

Submit an abstract approximately one page in length directly to the guest
editor at joshua.hartshorne at bc.edu. Both reviews and new experimental
studies are welcome. The experimental study need not be complete but must
be described in enough detail and be clearly completable well before the
full paper deadline. Pre-submission inquiries about topic and fit are
welcome.

Papers may be submitted in English or Ukrainian. This is an open access
journal with a small publication fee on acceptance (100 Euros; or 90 Euros
for authors from low-income countries). *If you are affected by the war and
thus do not have the funds, please reach out; we can probably make an
accommodation.*