[CogSci] CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS: Research study on Playful Problem Solving

ppslab Playful Problem Solving Lab ppslab at umn.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:11:23 PST 2022

Dear CogSci Members,

Need a break from studying? Interested in playing Baba Is You, a fun
puzzle-based video game? If so, and you’re between 18-30 years of age,
you’re a candidate for our research study! Find out more below.

Research Project Title: Playful Problem Solving

Research Team: Dr. David DeLiema, Dr. Keisha Varma, Dr. Bodong Chen
(University of Minnesota)

Project Purpose: This research study aims to better understand how people
solve problems within a puzzle-based video game. Ultimately, we hope that
we can use the knowledge we gain to develop and provide practical resources
for parents, teachers, and community programs to support productive problem
solving and build youth problem solving skills.

In this study, we will ask you to play the Baba Is You video game three
times over the course of a few weeks. You are free to play whenever
convenient and for about an hour each week (if you enjoy the game). As you
play, each action you take in the game, such as clicking left or right to
move the game character, will be saved in a “log file” and shared with our
research team. We will be using these log files to understand how people
solve problems in video games.

Eligibility Criteria: (1) Aged 18-30 years old and no prior experience
playing Baba Is You. (2) Access to a Windows OS computer capable of running
routine applications. (3) You are fluent or could respond thoughtfully to
open-ended questions in English.

Participants will get to keep the game, which is highly acclaimed and
valued at $15, and receive a $20 Amazon gift card for completing the short
survey at the end of the study.

If you are interested in participating or would like to learn more, please
follow this link: https://umn.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6u8c9szhFGlmp2m

Thank you.