[CogSci] NASSLLI 2022 @ USC

Alexis Wellwood wellwood at usc.edu
Wed Sep 8 12:56:29 PDT 2021

Dear Cognitive Scientists,

The 2022 edition of the North American Summer School for Logic, Language, and Information (NASSLLI) will be held at the University of Southern California June 18-24, 2022. We are planning on a fully in-person school with some potential for hybrid participation.

In response to the canceled 2020 edition of the school at Brandeis University—only partially substituted by the online-only WeSSLLI 2020—we have invited the instructors scheduled for the 2020 school to teach as part of the 2022 edition. Almost all accepted our offer. Because of this, we will not be issuing a call for course proposals this year.

The school website is https://ml-la.github.io/nasslli2022/. We will be updating this site with more information about the courses, location, accommodations, scholarships and the student session in the coming months. Below we list our course and workshop organizers, and the local USC organizing committee. Our 2022 additions to the program are marked with *.

5-day courses

Daniel Altshuler & Robert Truswell – “Coordination: Syntax, semantics, discourse”

Anton Benz & Nicole Gotzner – “Scalar implicature: Recent developments in theoretical and experimental approaches”

Adam Bjorndahl – “Topology, logic, and epistemology”

Fabrizio Cariani & Natasha Korotkova* – “Futurity, evidentiality, and modality: Cross-disciplinary perspectives”

Jonathan Ginzburg & Andy Lücking – “Dialogue across the lifespan”

Lotus Goldberg & Amber Stubbs – “A case study in corpus construction for theoretical analysis and NLP applications: The syntactic corpus of English VP ellipsis”

Jeremy Goodman* & Bernhard Salow* – “Normality-based approaches to inductive knowledge, epistemic logic, and belief-revision”

Daniel Harris* – TBD

Julian Hough & Arash Eshghi – “Incremental language processing in dialogue systems”

Constantine Lignos – “Introduction to Python”

Mathias Winther Madsen – “Introduction to information theory: Applications to cognitive science”

Tin Perkov – “Introduction to modal logic and modal definability”

Kyle Rawlins – “Implementing semantic compositionality”

Charles Reiss & Alan Bale – “Phono-logical reasoning”

Mark Steedman – “Combinatory categorial grammar: An introduction”

Una Stojnic* – TBD

Jakub Szymanik & Shane Steinert-Threlkeld – “Learnability of quantifiers”

David Traum* – TBD

5-day workshops

Benjamin Eva, Branden Fitelson & Ted Shear – “Belief revision, belief update and supposition”

Elsi Kaiser* & Deniz Rudin* – “Subjectivity in semantic interpretation”

Short courses/bootcamps

Cian Dorr* & Harvey Lederman* – “Introduction to non-extensional higher-order logics and their applications to propositional attitudes”

Tim Fernando – “Predication via finite-state methods”

Peter Fritz* – “Introduction to propositional quantifiers”

Kyle Gorman – “Finite-state text processing”

Andras Kornai – “Unifying formulaic, geometric, and algebraic theories of semantics”

Friederike Moltmann – “Natural language ontology”

Roumyana Pancheva* – TBD

Livia Polanyi – “Topic shift in conversation: A computational approach to relevance and coherence”

USC organizing committee

Alexis Wellwood (Director)

Jeremy Goodman

Khalil Iskarous