[CogSci] Post doc in Cognitive-Computational/Theoretical Neuroscience at University College London UK (PI Dominik Bach, ERC-funded)

Dominik R. Bach d.bach at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 21 04:04:28 PDT 2021

*Post doc in Cognitive-Computational Modelling/Theoretical Neuroscience
at University College London: discrete and continuous human action
control under threat*

We are looking for a research fellow in an ERC-funded research project
"Action selection under threat - the complex control of human defence"
led by Dominik Bach (http://bachlab.org <http://bachlab.org>) at
University College London in collaboration with Peter Dayan,
Max-Planck-Institute for Biological Cybernetics in Tübingen
(https://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/de/computational-neuroscience
<https://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/de/computational-neuroscience>). The
position will be based at Max-Planck UCL Centre for Computational
Psychiatry (https://www.mps-ucl-centre.mpg.de/en
<https://www.mps-ucl-centre.mpg.de/en>) and Wellcome Centre for Human
Neuroimaging (http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/
<http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/>).

The overarching goal of the project is to understand the
cognitive-computational control of human action selection under acute,
immediate threat. We investigate this in an immersive virtual reality
(VR) environment, in which people can move to avoid a large number of
different threats. As part of this project, the candidate will build
explicit theoretical and computational models of discrete and continuous
action control and action updating under constraints of time pressure
and unaffordable costs. These will be tested by the experimentalists in
our interdisciplinary team, composed of VR experts, psychologists, and
movement scientists. If desired there is a possibility to get involved
in the experimental work, including behavioural experiments, motion
capture and OPM-MEG. Within the topical focus, the project offers unique
freedom to explore and develop novel directions and formalisms at the
interface of classical discrete-space decision models and continous
action control.

We seek applicants with a track record of cognitive-computational
modelling and a PhD in computational neuroscience, robotics with focus
on action planning, computer science/mathematics/physics with a focus on
decision science, or in a related area. We are looking for an individual
who is strongly motivated to pursue an academic career and is excited by
the opportunities for personal and career development this position can
provide.

The post is available from now with negotiable starting date. Funding is
available for up to 3 years. Starting salary is on UCL grade 7, ranging
from £36,770 to £44,388 per annum, inclusive of London Allowance,
superannuable.

More information, a full job description, and access to the UCL online
application portal: https://bit.ly/3G6uQAg <https://bit.ly/3G6uQAg>

Please contact d.bach at ucl.ac.uk for any queries about the project or role.

Closing date: 16 November 2021

Interviews will be held remotely in December.

Apologies for cross-posting.

--
Dominik R Bach MBBS PhD