[CogSci] Deadline approaching: HCI Journal Special Issue- Guiding the conversation: New Theory and Design Perspectives for Conversational User Interfaces- 2nd June

Benjamin Cowan benjamin.cowan at ucd.ie
Thu May 27 08:55:03 PDT 2021

The deadline for proposal submissions to the following special issue in
the HCI Journal is fast approaching.

====Guiding the Conversation: New Theory and Design Perspectives for
Conversational User Interfaces===
===Special Issue of Human Computer Interaction Journal===

===https://madpickle.net/hcij/publicInfo/cfp_cui.pdf===
<https://madpickle.net/hcij/publicInfo/cfp_cui.pdf===>

Conversational speech and text-based interfaces are growing in
popularity, through the increased uptake of speech systems like Amazon
Alexa, Siri, and Google Assistant. We have also seen the proliferation
of chatbot interfaces in service contexts. This special issue aims to
start building further critical mass around research on user-centric
issues in CUI interaction, specifically investigating how theory,
methods and empirical research can inform the development, understanding
and design of CUIs.  It aims to serve as a catalyst for new data-driven
insights, interaction paradigms, and theoretical viewpoints, for HCI
researchers interested in this growing area of study. For this special
issue, conversational interfaces are broadly defined, including
task-based as well as social, conversational and companion-based
interactions through text, speech and multimodal interaction.

===Submissions===
We encourage submissions that include, but are not limited to the
following topics:
•    Design paradigms, metaphors & use case
•    Evaluation techniques and metrics
•    Theories of interaction & dialogue
•    Encouraging prototyping & innovation
•    Ethics, privacy & trust

We encourage papers that present original and rigorous research in these
areas, especially cross disciplinary investigations that include speech
and language-based disciplines.

===Proposal Submission Instructions===
We ask interested authors to submit an initial proposal to the special
issue. Initial proposals should be about 1000 words and provide a clear
indication of what the paper is about.

Note that you must use the
template provided
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2VpyckfbOHoQWc3UnI4UFVWM1U/view).

Proposals should be
submitted on the HCI Editorial site. Proposals will be
evaluated for relevance to the special issue theme, and guidance will be
given. Accepted proposal will then be invited to submit a full paper
submission.

For questions and queries about the special issue, please email
cui.hci.journal at gmail.com <mailto:cui.hci.journal at gmail.com>.

===Important dates===
Proposals due: 2nd June 2021
Response to authors: 1st July 2021

===Special Issue Editors===
Benjamin R Cowan (University College Dublin)
Leigh Clark (Swansea University)
Heloisa Candello (IBM Research, Brazil)
Janice Tsai (Mozilla Research)

--
Benjamin R Cowan PhD

NB- I do not respond or check emails at weekends or in the evening.
If anything is urgent please phone.
Recent papers:
Doyle, P., Clark, L. & Cowan, B.R. (Accepted). What Do We See in Them? Identifying Dimensions of Partner Models for Speech Interfaces Using a Psycholexical Approach. Proceeedings of CHI 2021. https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.02094
Wu, Y. et al (2020). See What I’m Saying? Comparing Intelligent Personal Assistant Use for Native and Non-Native Language Speakers. 22nd International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services. https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.06328
Wu, Y. et al (2020). Mental Workload and Language Production in Non-Native Speaker IPA Interaction. Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on Conversational User Interfaces. 2020. https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.06331
Garialde, D. et al (2020). Quantifying the Impact of Making and Breaking Interface Habits. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2005/2005.06842.pdf