[CogSci] Call for Abstracts: CogSci Pre-Conference Workshop on Affective Cognition

Desmond Ong desmond.c.ong at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:17:38 PDT 2021

Dear colleagues,

We are very pleased to announce a pre-conference workshop on Affective Cognition (website here <https://affcog.github.io/>) at the 2021 annual conference of the Cognitive Science Society (CogSci 2021 <https://cognitivesciencesociety.org/cogsci-2021/>). In addition to invited talks, we would love you to present your research during our poster session! See below for information about submitting abstracts.

About the workshop:
Affect is often considered the opposite of cognition: Cognition is rational while affect is irrational; cognition is cold while affect is hot. This workshop, however, will introduce an emerging domain of work that brings the two together: Affective Cognition. This new domain investigates how humans reason about affect using interdisciplinary approaches, including developmental, computational, neural, anthropological, and machine learning methods. We will bring together a stellar lineup of speakers who are leading scholars on affective cognition and introduce this young, interdisciplinary domain to our scientific community.
Workshop Title: Interdisciplinary Advances in Affective Cognition
Invited Speakers: Drs. György Gergely <https://people.ceu.edu/gyorgy_gergely>, Eric Walle <https://idlab.ucmerced.edu/node/17>, Daniel Dukes <https://dukes.space/>, Seth Pollak <https://psych.wisc.edu/staff/pollak-seth/>, Vanessa LoBue <https://sasn.rutgers.edu/about-us/faculty-staff/vanessa-lobue>, Kara Weisman <https://kgweisman.github.io/about.html>, Mark Thornton <https://pbs.dartmouth.edu/people/mark-thornton>, Anat Perry <https://scholars.huji.ac.il/perrylab>, and Rebecca Saxe <https://saxelab.mit.edu/>
Organizers: Drs. Yang Wu <http://web.stanford.edu/~yangwu1/Research.html>, Desmond Ong <https://web.stanford.edu/~dco/>, Hyowon Gweon <http://sll.stanford.edu/>
Workshop Website: https://affcog.github.io/ <https://affcog.github.io/>
Time & Format: July 26th, 2021, Virtual

Call for Abstracts:
To maximize the engagement of students and early-career researchers, the workshop features a poster session, in the format of 5-minute pre-recorded talks. We welcome submissions from a variety of disciplines (psychology, philosophy, neuroscience, computer science, anthropology, education, primatology, sociology...) on topics broadly related to how humans/animals generate, perceive, or understand emotion.

Interested researchers are encouraged to submit the following:
A title
All authors (identifying the presenting author) and corresponding affiliations
An abstract of no more than 250 words
For full consideration, please submit your abstract by Monday, June 14th, 2021 at midnight (last time zone on earth) using this form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScuDDMSpqfvgtBw_VLBrH2mckJ7eZJsN4A42IOoGz4n_gI0Lg/viewform?usp=sf_link>. If you have any questions about the workshop, please contact yangwu1 at stanford.edu <mailto:yangwu1 at stanford.edu> or dco at comp.nus.edu.sg <mailto:dco at comp.nus.edu.sg>.

Sincerely,
Yang Wu, Desmond Ong, Hyowon Gweon