[CogSci] 2nd Workshop on Mental Effort: Registration and Call for Posters

Wirzberger, Maria maria.wirzberger at ife.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu May 6 00:52:01 PDT 2021

Dear valued colleagues,

We will be organizing the 2nd Workshop on Mental Effort on September 9-10, 2021 (see details below). Our workshop will be held virtually and the registration is free of charge:https://sites.google.com/view/mental-effort (@EffortMental<https://twitter.com/EffortMental>).

You are most welcome to submit a poster and/or attend our workshop. We would also be grateful if you could forward this call to your colleagues, or anyone else who you think would be interested in attending the workshop. Registrants will have the opportunity to submit a motivational statement  for participating in hands-on modeling tutorials covering a variety of techniques, including symbolic architecture & connectionist modeling, non-parametric Bayesian methods, dynamical systems, as well as reinforcement learning. Poster abstracts (2000 characters) can be submitted to present related research.

Thank you very much for your support!

Best regards on behalf of the organizers,
Maria Wirzberger

ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR POSTERS

Second Workshop on Mental Effort

September 9-10, 2021 (Virtual Meeting)
Website: https://sites.google.com/view/mental-effort
Twitter: @EffortMental<https://twitter.com/EffortMental>
Contact email: mental.effort.meeting at gmail.com<mailto:mental.effort.meeting at gmail.com>

======= Important Dates =======

Registration (main conference and tutorials): July 15, 2021
Submission of 2000 character abstract for posters: July 15, 2021
Decision of acceptance: July 29, 2021
Workshop: September 9-10, 2021

======= Call for abstracts =======

Are you working on a project or thesis related to mental effort and want to discuss your ideas? If so, we are inviting you to present a poster during our virtual poster session.
To apply, please submit a 2000 character abstract as a part of the registration form:
https://sites.google.com/view/mental-effort/submit-a-poster

=======   Scope and Goal of the Workshop =======

We can all feel exhausted after a day of work, even if we have spent it sitting at a desk. The intuitive concept of mental effort pervades virtually all domains of human information processing and has become an indispensable ingredient for general theories of cognition. However, inconsistent use of the term across cognitive sciences, including cognitive psychology, education, human-factors engineering and artificial intelligence, makes it one of the least well-defined theoretical constructs across fields.
A number of recent approaches lay the foundation for a consensus by offering formal accounts of mental effort. Yet, reaching a multifield-wide consensus on the operationalization of mental effort will require cross-talk between different empirical and computational approaches, including symbolic architectures, non-parametric Bayesian statistics and neural networks. The purpose of this two-day workshop is to review and integrate these emerging perspectives.
To achieve this goal, we invited experts in these fields to present an accessible summary of their research, and allocate ample time for dialogue and audience participation across a full day of hands-on tutorials, two panel discussions, and a poster session.

Key questions of discussion will include (but are not limited to):

  *   What are the experimental phenomena that lay a foundation for theories of mental effort?
  *   What is the common ground in operationalizing mental effort across different domains of cognitive science?
  *   Which modeling approach(es) is (are) best suited to answer which questions regarding mental effort?

The workshop is specifically designed to attract scholars with expertise in different modeling frameworks who seek to expand their interest to other methodologies.

======= List of Tutorials (Day 1, September 9, 2021) =======

  *   An Introduction to ACT-R
(Maria Wirzberger, University of Stuttgart)
  *   An Introduction to Neural Network Modeling
(Sebastian Musslick, Princeton University)
  *   Analyzing Decision Making and Reinforcement Learning Data With HDDM
(Mads Lund Pedersen, University of Oslo)
  *   Bayesian Models in Brain Science
(Andra Geana, Brown University)
  *   Individual Differences Data Analysis With STAN
(Laura Bustamante, Princeton University)
  *   Computational Models of Human Gaze Data
(Angela Radulescu, New York University)
  *   Network Dynamic Modeling of Cognitive Control
(Anastasia Bizyaeva, Princeton University)

  *   Psyneulink: A Block Modeling Environment for Building Models of Brain Function
(Jonathan D. Cohen, Princeton University)

======= List of Speakers (Day 2, September 10, 2021)=======

  *   Andrew Caplin (New York University)
  *   Anne Collins (UC Berkeley)
  *   Roshan Cools (Radboud University)
  *   Thomas Goschke (TU Dresden)
  *   Clay Holroyd (Ghent University)
  *   Candace Raio (New York University)
  *   Lynne Reder (Carnegie Mellon University)
  *   Christopher Wickens (formerly University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)

======= Sponsors =======

The 2nd Workshop on Mental Effort is possible thanks to the support of the William K. and Katherine W. Estes Fund which is jointly overseen by the Association for Psychological Science and the Psychonomic Society. We would like to thank our sponsors for their generous support.

---

Jun.-Prof. Dr. Maria Wirzberger
Tenure-track faculty for teaching and learning with intelligent systems
Department director

Spokesperson of the “Interchange Forum for Reflecting on Intelligent Systems”<https://www.cyber-valley.de/en/news/engaging-in-critical-reflection-on-intelligent-systems> (IRIS)

University of Stuttgart
Institute of Educational Science
Dept. of Teaching and Learning with Intelligent Systems
Geschwister-Scholl-Str. 24D
70174 Stuttgart, Germany

LEAD Graduate School & Research Network
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems

Office:  3.351
Phone: +49 711 685 - 81176
Email:  maria.wirzberger at ife.uni-stuttgart.de<mailto:maria.wirzberger at ife.uni-stuttgart.de>
Web:    https://www.ife.uni-stuttgart.de/en/llis/ | https://maria-wirzberger.de