[CogSci] CFP: Integrating Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in the Cognitive Sciences

Wiktor Rorot wiktor.rorot at student.uw.edu.pl
Thu May 6 07:32:09 PDT 2021

Call for papers for

5th International Conference on Interactivity, Language & Cognition:
Integrating Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in the Cognitive and
Language Sciences

Online:* 15-19 September 2021*

website: http://hill.psych.uw.edu.pl/cilc5/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/2676630182426566

mail: hill at hill.psych.uw.edu.pl

Abstracts deadline: 15 May 2021

The conference will most likely consist of virtual live talks and a fully
virtual poster session.

Focus

Human behavior and experience are richer than any measurement can show,
revealing its fragility whenever one attempts to quantify it. To give
justice to this richness, we need to escape the traditional division into
quantitative and qualitative research. Our aim is to unite researchers in a
quest for methodological approaches, which can help deal with
underappreciated aspects of the cognitive, social, and human sciences, and
build bridges between different research traditions.

We plan to continue the path of bringing together researchers from various
fields, following our online “teaser” symposium last year – “Quantitative
Preserving the Qualitative: a Teaser for Integrating Methodologies” (website
<http://hill.psych.uw.edu.pl/qq2020/>, recordings
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR6bJHpXQ3JfToA1S1VGeA/videos>).

Keynotes

   -

   Prof. Mark Bickhard, Henry R. Luce Professor in Cognitive Robotics and
   the Philosophy of Knowledge, Lehigh University (see more
   <https://psychology.cas2.lehigh.edu/content/mhb0>)
   -

   Prof. Bert Hodges, Professor of Psychology, University of Connecticut (see
   more <https://www.gordon.edu/berthodges>)
   -

   Prof. Hanne de Jaegher, Ramón y Cajal Research Fellow, University of the
   Basque Country (see more <https://hannedejaegher.net/>)
   -

   Prof. Vasu Reddy, University of Portsmouth (see more
   <https://www.port.ac.uk/about-us/structure-and-governance/our-people/our-staff/vasu-reddy>
   )
   -

   Prof. Michael Richardson (see more
   <https://researchers.mq.edu.au/en/persons/michael-richardson>), Prof.
   Rachel Kallen (see more
   <https://researchers.mq.edu.au/en/persons/rachel-kallen>), Macquarie
   University
   -

   Sarah Bro Trasmundi, PhD, Associate Professor, University of Southern
   Denmark (see more
   <https://portal.findresearcher.sdu.dk/en/persons/sarbro>)
   -

   Prof. Li Wei, Professor in Applied Linguistics, University College
   London (see more <https://iris.ucl.ac.uk/iris/browse/profile?upi=LWEIX65>
   )
   -

   Kaya de Barbaro, PhD, Assistant Professor, University of Texas at Austin
   (see more <https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/psychology/faculty/kd26254>)

Invitation

We invite researchers from the fields of psychology, language sciences,
cognitive sciences, anthropology, philosophy, biology, computer science,
and others. Hoping to preserve the complexity, richness, and fragility of
individual and collective cognition, we plan to work together on “tender”
methodologies, which avoid reducing persons, their deeds, and feelings, to
pure measurements. The general idea is to bring together qualitative and
quantitative researchers and to strike a dialogue, leading to mutual
incorporation of the values important for both types of methods, as well as
to finding the language for interacting with others.

Topics may include but should NOT be limited to:

   -

   research on interaction and early interaction,
   -

   research on language development in interaction,
   -

   research on language emergence and use in interactions, task oriented
   and others,
   -

   philosophical analyses of the impediment to the integration of the
   qualitative and quantitative methods,
   -

   how to acknowledge value-realizing in interactions with the environment
   and others,
   -

   research employing dynamical systems approach to behaviour and
   interaction analysis,
   -

   research on early semantic development and participatory sense making,
   -

   theoretical analyses on limits of measurement and the types of knowing,
   -

   methods of modeling heterogeneous, multiscale phenomena (for example,
   dynamical models, agent-based models, statistical models),
   -

   mixed methods integrating qualitative and quantitative data.

Conference Format

We invite the following types of submissions:
1. thematic sessions of up to 4 talks (limited slots),
2. regular talks (limited slots),
3. posters.

We hope to create a safe and diverse space for all the participants, and
especially encourage submissions from members of underrepresented groups in
academia.

For more details and submission instructions, please see our website
<http://hill.psych.uw.edu.pl/cilc5/>: http://hill.psych.uw.edu.pl/cilc5/
<http://hill.psych.uw.edu.pl/cilc5/cfp/>

Organizers

The conference is organized by the International Society for the Study of
Interactivity, Language and Cognition and the Human Interactivity and
Language Lab, Faculty of Psychology, University of Warsaw.

We hope you will join us!

On behalf of the organizing committee:

Joanna Rączaszek-Leonardi

Julian Zubek