[CogSci] Extended Deadline! CfA Computational Cognition Workshop 2021

Xenia Ohmer xenia.ohmer at uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu Jul 1 10:39:25 PDT 2021

Computational Cognition Workshop 2021

We are pleased to announce the 2nd “Computational Cognition'' workshop, hosted by the DFG-funded Research Training Group by the same name at the Institute of Cognitive, Osnabrück University (Germany). The workshop will be held remotely on September 23 – 24, 2021.

In this workshop, we pursue to (re-)integrate research from areas concerned with low- and high-level cognition. Much is understood regarding the neural signals underlying basic sensorimotor processes, as well as the cognitive processes involved in reasoning, problem solving, and language. However, understanding how high-level cognition can arise from low-level mechanisms is a long-standing open problem in cognitive science. Artificial intelligence has recently made great progress on many cognitive tasks using (deep) neural networks. At the same time, cognitive scientists have explored similar ideas, such as predictive coding for unified neural theories of learning. Thus, by bringing together ideas from cognitive science and Al we hope to generate new insights into human and machine intelligence alike.

Confirmed invited speakers:
Jacob Andreas (MIT), Richard Baraniuk (Rice University), Tom Griffiths (Princeton University), Andrea E. Martin (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics), Claire Sergent (Université de Paris), Agnieszka Wykowska (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia)

Call for papers
We invite abstracts for papers from all areas of cognitive science. Submissions should have a strong computational focus, and may concern research questions in low- or high-level cognition. Topics include but are not limited to…
 * Computational neuroscience * Artificial intelligence * Mathematical and computational models of higher-order cognition (e.g., language, decision making, inference) * Mathematical and computational models of low-level cognition (e.g., signal processing, semantic classification) * Natural language processing and computational models of language * Machine learning and Deep Learning * Empirical studies conducted in relation to either of the aboveAbstracts should be submitted anonymously. The main text should not exceed one A4 page (12pt font, 2.54 cm/1 inch margins), with an optional second page for additional materials such as tables, figures, and references. Abstracts can be considered for a 30-minute talk or poster. Please indicate when submitting whether you would like the abstract to be considered for a talk, poster, or both. To do so, add the labels "talk", "poster", or "talk/poster" to the title in the submission form (e.g., title: "My first submission (talk/poster)").
The extended deadline for submission is July 16, 2021 (11:59 pm CEST). We expect to notify authors of the decision by early August 2021.

You may submit your abstracts here: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=comco2021
Further information is available on the conference website: https://comco2021.uni-osnabrueck.de/
For any inquiries please contact: comco at uni-osnabrueck.de

Kind regards
The COMCO 2021 organizing committee
Michael Marino, Xenia Ohmer, Gabriela Pipa, and Juliane Schwab