[CogSci] Taking Time Seriously: The Notion of Change in Culture and Psychology - Advances in Cultural Psychology SPSP2021 online Preconference (Tuesday, February 9, 2021)

Igor Grossmann igrossma at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 14 15:55:05 PDT 2020

Dear all,

A reminder about the submission and award nomination deadline for the "Taking Time Seriously: The Notion of Change in Culture and Psychology" - Advances in Cultural Psychology SPSP2021 online Preconference. Conference DATE: Tuesday, February 9, 2021.

The Covid-19 pandemic has profoundly shaped and continues shaping our societies, including our goals, cognitions, emotion, and behaviors. As the psychological make-up of societies is changing in front of our eyes, the question of cultural (societal and psychological) change has become as salient as ever before. Yet, what do we know about cultural change? How can we study it?

Are you interested in learning more about possible answers to these questions? The Advances in Cultural Psychology Pre-conference <http://meeting.spsp.org/preconferences/advances-cultural-psychology> at the next Society for Personality and Social Psychology annual conference is fully devoted to unpack the mysteries of time and ways to capture cultural change, under the joint theme "Taking Time Seriously: The Notion of Change in Culture and Psychology."

The conference will be held on Tuesday Feb 9 with multiple sessions across multiple time zones, including a mix of live and pre-recorded talks. The registration is now open. The pre-conference will include some of the most innovative and leading scholars on these topics, presenting cutting-edge theoretical and methodological innovations:

  *   Meanne Chan, Lingnan University, Hong Kong
     *   Global Trends in Cross-Cultural Endorsement of Social Mobility: Evidence from 170 Countries
  *   Takeshi Hamamura, Curtin University, Australia
     *   Individualism in China over Time. Cultural Associations Discerned through Word Embeddings
  *   Olga Stavrova, Tilburg University, Netherlands
     *   Diversity and trust: testing prediction models of culture change

  *   Mark Schaller, University of British Columbia, Canada
     *   Modeling Cultural Change: Computational Models of Interpersonal Influence Dynamics Can Yield New Insights about How Cultures Change, Which Cultures Change More Rapidly Than Others
  *   Jiin Jung, University of Kansas, United States of America
     *   The Impact of Indirect Minority Influence on the Magnitude, Speed, and Frequency of Cultural Change and Diversity within Society
  *   Joshua Jackson, University of North Carolina, United States of America
     *   Forecasting the Future of Religious Belief Using Models of Cultural Change

Our pre-conference will include a data blitz and poster sessions for advanced graduate students and postdocs to share their current research.

We're currently looking for data blitz submissions (for 5-minute talks) as part of our young scholar data blitz award competition. To be considered for the Data Blitz session, please submit a 150-word abstract to acpreconference at gmail.com<mailto:acpreconference at gmail.com> by Nov 1. We'll review these abstracts and waive the preconference registration fee for the presenter of the top abstract!

We are also excited to announce call for an Award for Outstanding Contribution to Cultural Psychology.  This award was established to recognize a scholar (or group of scholars) whose work has added substantially to the body of knowledge in cultural psychology --and related fields examining the intersection of cultural and psychological processes--and whose sustained contributions in research, teaching, and/or service have significantly advanced the field.

Individuals may self-nominate or be nominated by others. In addition to the typical nominations of a single individual or collaborative team, we also encourage nominations that revolve around specific themes or topics that could be awarded at the same time to multiple investigators, even if they have not collaborated with each other (e.g., scholars working on cultures of honor, emotion, multiculturalism, etc.; scholars who have contributed to the teaching of cultural psychology).

Nomination materials must include:

  - A letter of recommendation detailing how the nominee's (or nominees') work fits the award criteria

 -  The nominee's (or nominees') current vita in electronic format

These materials should be sent in one email to Jozefien De Leersnyder (Jozefien.deleersnyder at kuleuven.be<mailto:Jozefien.deleersnyder at kuleuven.be>) by November 1, 2020. Awardees will be expected to give an award talk at the upcoming Advances in Cultural Psychology Pre-conference of the online SPSP Convention in February 2021.

Igor

On behalf of the pre-conference co-chairs

Jozefien de Leersnyder

Katholieke University Leuven, Belgium, jozefien.deleersnyder at kuleuven.be<mailto:jozefien.deleersnyder at kuleuven.be>

Igor Grossmann

University of Waterloo, Canada, igrossma at uwaterloo.ca<mailto:igrossma at uwaterloo.ca>

Krishna Savani

Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, ksavani at ntu.edu.sg<mailto:ksavani at ntu.edu.sg>

Ayse K. Uskul

University of Kent, UK, a.k.uskul at kent.ac.uk<mailto:a.k.uskul at kent.ac.uk>

Igor Grossmann, Ph.D.
Director, Wisdom and Culture Laboratory
https://uwaterloo.ca/wisdom-and-culture-lab
Associate Editor, Social Psychological and Personality Science

Co-host of the On Wisdom Podcast
onwisdompodcast.com<https://onwisdompodcast.com/>

Associate Professor of Psychology
University of Waterloo, Canada
CV http://bit.ly/IgorG

###JOIN THE BEHAVIORAL & SOCIAL SCIENCE FORECASTING COLLABORATIVE###
https://predictions.uwaterloo.ca/

The time of COVID-19 pandemic has profoundly shaped and continues shaping our societies, including our goals, cognitions, and behavioral responses. As the psychological make-up of societies is changing in front of our eyes, the question of cultural (societal and psychological) change has become as salient as ever before. Yet, what do we know about cultural change? How can we study it?

Are you interested in learning more about possible answers to these questions? The Advances in Cultural Psychology Pre-conference <http://meeting.spsp.org/preconferences/advances-cultural-psychology> at the next SPSP is fully devoted to unpack the mysteries of time and ways to capture cultural change, under the joint theme "Taking Time Seriously: The Notion of Change in Culture and Psychology."

The registration is now open. The pre-conference will include some of the most innovative and leading scholars on these topics, presenting cutting-edge theoretical and methodological innovations:

  *   Meanne Chan, Lingnan University, Hong Kong SAR
[...]

We're currently looking for data blitz submissions as part of our young scholar data blitz award competition. To be considered for the Data Blitz session, please submit a 150-word abstract to acpreconference at gmail.com<mailto:acpreconference at gmail.com> by Nov 1. We'll review these abstracts and waive the preconference registration fee for the presenter of the top abstract!
We are also excited to announce call for an award for Outstanding Contribution to Cultural Psychology, to recognize a scholar (or group of scholars) whose work has added substantially to the body of knowledge in cultural psychology --and related fields examining the intersection of cultural and psychological processes--and whose sustained contributions in research, teaching, and/or service have significantly advanced the field.

Individuals may self-nominate or be nominated by others. In addition to the typical nominations of a single individual or collaborative team, we also encourage nominations that revolve around specific themes or topics that could be awarded at the same time to multiple investigators, even if they have not collaborated with each other (e.g., scholars working on cultures of honor, emotion, multiculturalism, etc.; scholars who have contributed to the teaching of cultural psychology).

Nomination materials must include:
1. A letter of recommendation detailing how the nominee's (or nominees') work fits the
award criteria
2. The nominee's (or nominees') current vita in electronic format

Outstanding Contribution award nomination materials should be sent in one email to Jozefien De Leersnyder (Jozefien.deleersnyder at kuleuven.be<mailto:Jozefien.deleersnyder at kuleuven.be>) by November 1, 2020. Awardees will be expected to give an award talk at the upcoming Advances in Cultural Psychology Pre-conference of the online SPSP Convention in February 2021.

Igor Grossmann

On behalf of ACP Preconference Co-Chairs