[CogSci] Society for Affective Science 2021 Virtual Conference

Stephanie Marita Carpenter smcarpen at umich.edu
Sun Nov 8 15:30:09 PST 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well in these uncertain times.

I am writing to you regarding the Society for Affective Science (SAS) and
its annual meeting, which will be held in an all-virtual format between
April 15-30, 2021.

On behalf of the SAS membership and outreach committee, I encourage you and
your trainees (postdocs, students, etc.) to attend. My collaborators and I
have found SAS to be an excellent venue for presenting research and the
interdisciplinary nature of the program to be uniquely beneficial.

Below, I outline exciting highlights from the upcoming meeting and
opportunities for you and your trainees to submit abstracts for a
pre-recorded virtual presentation.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope you will join us at
the 2021 SAS virtual meeting!

All the best,

Stephanie Carpenter

University of Michigan

smcarpen at umich.edu

SAS 2021 Call for Abstracts

The Society for Affective Science (SAS) is delighted to announce its call
for abstracts to be considered for the 2021 Annual Conference, held in an
all-virtual format between April 15-30, 2021. This year’s extended format
aims to facilitate international participation and account for schedule
adjustments due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Program Highlights

We are excited to announce that this year's invited program includes:

   -

   TED-style talks by Lasana Harris, Dacher Keltner, Kristin Lagattuta,
   Matthew Nock, and Jamil Zaki

   -

   Flash Talks, Salons and Methods Events by Gal Sheppes, Yukiko Uchida,
   Jessica Lougheed, Derek Isaacowitz, Nilam Ram, Aaron Heller, James
   Cavanagh, Lori Hoggard, Emily Provost, Jamil Zaki, Jim Coan, Emily Falk,
   Ralph Adolphs, and Lisa Feldman Barrett, covering an exciting array of
   topics.

Advancing Interdisciplinary Science

In line with our goal to facilitate interdisciplinarity, we welcome
submissions from across the domain of affective science including
anthropology, business, computer science, cultural studies, economics,
education, geography, history, integrative medicine, law, linguistics,
literature, neuroscience, philosophy, political science, psychiatry,
psychology, public health, sociology, and theatre.

Abstract Submissions

IMPORTANT: Abstracts are changing this year!

   -

   Highly-ranked submissions will be published in a supplement of our
   journal Affective Science

   <https://www.springer.com/journal/42761>IMPORTANT: This does NOT
   preclude the work from being submitted/ published as a full paper in any
   scientific outlet

   -

   No poster/flash talk distinction! Presenters of accepted abstracts will
   be offered TWO sessions to deliver a 5-7 minute pre-recorded presentation
   followed by live Q&A

   -

   TWO submission types:

   1. New Results Showcasing the latest new findings in affective science
   based on data collected and analyzed. We welcome and encourage preliminary
   work!

   1. New Idea NEW! Showcasing a new research idea, complete with planned
   experimental designs and analysis approach(es). Data are not required,
   other than for proof of concept. Work already pre-registered in another
   platform is admissible.

   -

   Extended abstract format
   <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RaNj6ZzI1Cb2Wlh5mzOTSIhtSRfIW0iq/view?usp=sharing>:
   maximum 1-page PDF, including up to 1 figure

   -

   No fee to submit an abstract. The fee structure for conference
   registration is reduced and will be announced soon.

We encourage submissions from authors at all career stages.
Submission Deadline

Abstracts must be submitted by Thursday, December 10th, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Baker Island Time (BIT; UTC-12 — last timezone on earth) to be considered
for inclusion in the program.
Submission Review Process

Abstracts will be evaluated based on scholarly merit by a double-blind peer
review process with our Abstract Review Board.
Questions?

For abstract submissions, please contact the Abstract Committee Chairs,
Maria Gendron at maria.gendron at yale.edu and Hongbo Yu at
hongbo.yu at psych.ucsb.edu. For any other SAS 2021 conference related
questions, please contact the Program Chair, Rachael Jack at
rachael.jack at glasgow.ac.uk

For more updates, watch our website
<https://society-for-affective-science.org/> and follow us on Twitter
(@affectScience)!